JD Aercore Aerator

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by EricC, Aug 12, 2019.

1. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

I've rented aerators before. They're fun to work around in a yard and don't always pull the best plugs, but do ok. There is a JD Aercore 800 with an 18hp Briggs motor locally on FB marketplace i'm interested in for my private use.

I can't find much on it other than a video here or there of it punching holes on a golf course green and the majority of the other hits in a good search are for starter replacements. That can't be good, LOL

Anybody have any experience with one? This one is a big bigger than the rentals I can get and looks fairly easy to move around, which helps since i've gone from about .5 acres that i do to about 2 I'd like to do, but will never with a small rental.

thanks

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I checked out a tractor mounted 1500 that was being used on a course i was working at. It did a fine job. It was way more balanced than other brands units. But like most JD equipment it was overpriced. If your thinking of buying look as close as you can. People will beat the crap out of those things though YMMV.

3. OP
    OP
    EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

This is a used one, asking 2K. I now that beats a new price, but I'll probably have to pass. I don't know enough to really give it a good look over and see how used it is.

I can tell this man must have bought it from a golf course, emblems are still on it, south of here and it is slightly older, but no idea how old. Has the 18hp engine and I can see they started putting a 25 horse on a few years ago.

Starts and runs fine, but there are a lot of moving parts and i'd imagine more wear and tear because of the nature of the work than what a mower would get cutting grass.

Many of the more readily found rental style aerators around here are still asking for 1K or more and don't look in any better shape. plus they're fine for a half acre at a time, I don't want to run one all weekend to do the space I have now.

Thank you for the insight.