Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these mowers any good? I know anything JD is expensive but are these things worth it? For any of you that don't know what I'm talking about, they are the ones with the outfront deck, 22 hp (I think?) and are more for parks and stuff. My dealer has one with a 54" deck for I think he said $7500 brand new. The thing I like about it is you can set the cutting height to 4" to 1" in about 10 seconds with a rachet type thing. Really neat. I also like the deck weight transfer to the front tire. Would be really nice on steep jobs (I've got a couple of those). Do they stripe worth a darn? I know, depends on your grass. I don't know what I'm cutting (I'm a dummy, huh?) so that isn't any help. Are they like some Kees and don't stripe good? Is anyone familiar with these? Their bigger brothers are the F911 and up series.Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In our part of the country, Sioux Falls, SD, there are a lot of these machines around. They are very highly regarded, and out here, lots of JD dealers. They do an excellent job of mowing. I'm looking at a F925 for next year. I don't know about their striping capabilities, as this is not the vogue out here. They are large and fast machines, most, I believe are hydros.

Paul

G

·
I bought one back in 1991 when they first came out and I had it for over 8 years, the only problems with it was the deck was a little weak and when I started growing the machine wasn't wide enough, but it was an excellent machine. I lost it last fall in a fire(not the machines fault) but I would have kept it forever. It climbed hills great, made pretty decent stripes and almost never broke down. Also I had a 6' power broom and a 48" snow blower for it with chains, rear weight kit, wheel weight kit and light kit. I still have all those attachements if you would be intrested in buying those because they are now collecting dust in my shop because I don't have a machine to put them on. Let me know I could give you a really good price.I paid over $3,000 for the broom and $2,000 for the snow blower and I could let you have both with the weights and chains for $1,500.Let me know.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Scag and Paul, Both of you can save your money. The 725 is is NOT more for parks and stuff even though the gorgeous brocures that JD prints could have you believing so. As far as any of the 9 series mowers, do some research As big as they are, they're not that versatile. And they SURE don't lay down a nice cut! Ask some people who have them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
the "rachet" system is not good, i have the same thing on the JD F525, and you can never keep the cut level, because the deck bounces around and it knocks the rachet lower and lower, you have to keep adjusting it to keep a level cut, but if you do get this unit, NEVER grease the zerk on the rachet or it will change cutting heights on you while you mow.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've got 40 acres of grass, most of which is chopped for silage, but depending on how I'm feeling I mow between 4 and 8 acres finished. I used the F935 with a 72" deck exclusively for the first year. Last year I purchased a Woods rear discharge 72" finish mower that I pull behind my MF1235 tractor and mow about 4-5 acres of the rougher front pastures with it. It does a great job. I still mow the orchard and house/shop yard of 3-4 acres with the 935. The JD front mower bounces around too much for a comfortable ride and good cut on any but the smoothest ground--in fact the final straw was when I bounced a hairpin loose from a front caster, the whole assembly dropped out and I mowed over it, cutting the wheel and tire in half [luckily didn't hit the heavy steel frame]. The mower has a 22HP 3 cyl Yanmar diesel--it's a runner and very powerful--I've also chopped fist sized granite rocks comletely in half--the place was pretty rough when I started. It is quite maneuverable once you get used to the rear wheel steering and fast to back up with the foot control hydro pedals. New, this machine would be incredibly expensive but I got it used for a very fair price and expect to get a good trade or sales price when I move on. The 935 will side discharge even the heaviest, wettest grass [rye] but I think the blade speed is too slow to cut it fine enough or smooth enough to give it the look I want. Mechanically I think this is a great mower and they are very well thought of and sell well around here [north of Seattle] but I just want a better cut--and I'd also like to do it faster. BTW, I recently demo'd a 76" rear discharge JD deck and it had a horrible cut--scalped on the turns and left two huge windrows where the blades met. It rear discharged but in two big long piles--the Woods leaves nicely spread out clippings the width of the deck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The F725 is a great machine. It is equipped w/ a 22hp liquid cooled Kaw engine; however, it does not have their new 7-Iron deck unless you go to the F735 w/ 60 incher. The deck cut height adjustment is awesome w/ a crank. Changes very easy and actually holds cut height over time. At the dlrs quoted price, you are getting a steal for a mower that will be running when everything else breakdowns or wears out. Striping is nothing to brag about but it can be accomplished w/ the right blades and deck attitude. Need high lift blades and dip front of deck approximately 1/4" in front. Mr. Ziffel, the 76" rear discharge for the F900's is in fact made by woods and is the same shell that you are bragging about.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't recall bragging about anything-just stating facts about two different cutting decks used for two different types of area. Since I have no information on who the OEM for either Deere or Woods equipment is, I can't address your statement about who manufactures what, however I can tell you that the two decks differ significantly in design, performance, operation and results no matter who makes the shell. The most relevant difference is that the Woods is supported at all 4 corners by articulated caster wheels which float, with the result that I've never had it scalp. The Woods also has a full-width of the deck rear sloping baffle which disperses the clippings. It appears to me that the JD76 just has too much unsupported area hanging in front of the mower and was not able to properly disperse the clippings the width of the deck; instead it windrowed them the entire length of the cut which would be fine if I could fit the 14' chopper in that area to pick them up for silage! BTW, the latest JD Purchasing guide [I picked it up at the dealer last week] on pages 60-61 lists the LC Kawasaki at 20HP in the F725 and the Yanmar diesel at 20.5HP in the F735.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The JD76 along w/ most rear-discharge decks are bad for windrowing. You are corrrect that the JD does have alot of unsupported area in the front. Only the shell is that same. Everything else is different. I like the way Woods puts those pivoting casters on each corner. Good thinking. I also stand corrected on the 2 hp. Sorry about that. Double check myself next time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like JD in general, but I always want to make sure I'm getting the best piece of equipment each time I make a purchase. NCmow, you seem to know about JD so as long as we're at this topic I'd like to pick your brain. Have you seen or used the F680 or the M-series? I have a very good JD dealer 13 miles away and an excellent one 50 miles away, but they both love the Fseries and haven't even seen the M yet. Have you? If so....??? If not, I've got them working on it for me and I'll let you know. So far I've demo'd the F680 on pavement and the Toro z on pavement and seen the cut of it but not cut with it [does that make sense?--their grass was just cut when I got there]. I'm trying to compare the above with the Exmark [same almost as toro] and the Scag [another good dealer 20 miles away]. Seems like the 680 is too slow compared to the other z-turns plus I need HP for my wet conditions. Any thoughts or info is appreciated. Thanks.
Will M.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mr. Ziffle,
How many hours are on the F935 right now? What did you pay for it new and what do you think its worth now? Want a fast mower? Get an Exmark. 9 MPH of fury. E-mail me what you think 935 is worth.

G

·
I had alot of JD's over the past 16 yrs. from 210's to 318's to 332's to 725's to 935's to 1145's and this is the first yr. that I tried something else. I must say the JD has nothing to offer me. I tried an Exmark and now I have a 60" lazer Z which I love, and I also have a 72" EFI Lazer Z . I am going to pickup my new 27hp liquid cooled Lazer Z tomorrow at my dealer. I was just tired of paying high prices for a product that isn't the best anymore.

·
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
4,830 Posts
Sounds like we have had simular experiances. This was my 16th season and I have had several JD's which includes the 332. You are the first one I've heard of on this forum other than me with one of them. I still have a 430, but I don't use it to mow with anymore. I always thought anything with Green paint on it had to be the best. Boy was I wrong. Look below and you will see it misses a lot of grass.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 10-16-2000 at 02:20 AM]

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've owned and used JD tractors and front deck mowers for some time and I now believe that the only good JD is a burning JD. :) The tractor (1150) was gutless and thirsty.
The front deck (1145) was thirsty as hell and gave a terrible cut.(72" deck). If you want this style of machine,
try Kubota or New Holland.

Karl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.