JD trimmer question

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I would like to hear from anyone who has run, or owns a John Deere T105S trimmer. What's your opinion of them for light duty trimming, good or bad. I have a good commercial trimmer, but came across a T105S in decent shape. Would it be worth picking up?

Please, I am not interested in reading a lot of replies like "junk", "not commercial", "too small" etc, unless you have hands on experience with one.

newz7151

LawnSite Silver Member
I would like to hear from anyone who has run, or owns a John Deere T105S trimmer. What's your opinion of them for light duty trimming, good or bad. I have a good commercial trimmer, but came across a T105S in decent shape. Would it be worth picking up?

Please, I am not interested in reading a lot of replies like "junk", "not commercial", "too small" etc, unless you have hands on experience with one.
Just an old Homelite with limited if any parts still available. Take both into account upon purchase.

professional

LawnSite Member
I have an xt140le. I love it. It's not used everyday anymore (7 1/2 years old), but is used several times a week. As far as parts, I just ordered two parts for it Thursday and the dealer called yesterday morning and told me they were in. I am sure that parts will become harder to get, but as the dealer pointed out, that will happen as these machines wear out and are no longer repairable anyway. John Deere sells Stihl which I have been pleased with, but I do miss the Deere branded handhelds.

OP
Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Just an old Homelite with limited if any parts still available. Take both into account upon purchase.
Not according to Deere's help website. It is an old Mitsubishi, not homelite. It is listed in their past professional series of trimmers/handhelds owner's manuals, and the warranty statements says Mitsubishi. For sure weren't made by Homelite. I have never seen these sold anywhere other than a dealer.

I'm not new to the game, I just don't have any experience with one of the old Deere trimmers personally. I normally run an FS90, but thought if this 105 was worth anything, I'd pick it up for light duty trimming where I don't need the power of the 90, and save some wear and tear on it.

Fencek

LawnSite Member
I used Red Max trimmer/edger. Had them for 4 years with zero issues. Love them.

My friend has a John Deere and he likes his.

newz7151

LawnSite Silver Member
Not according to Deere's help website. It is an old Mitsubishi, not homelite. It is listed in their past professional series of trimmers/handhelds owner's manuals, and the warranty statements says Mitsubishi. For sure weren't made by Homelite. I have never seen these sold anywhere other than a dealer.
I'm sure it is somewhat possible, however from looking at the JDPARTS website for that model, many of the parts seem to be in a Homelite format. I do not presently have a parts source for Mitsubishi other than the parts for the old Shindaiwa T195S and F195S of which the engines are Mitsubishi.

OP
Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm sure it is somewhat possible, however from looking at the JDPARTS website for that model, many of the parts seem to be in a Homelite format. I do not presently have a parts source for Mitsubishi other than the parts for the old Shindaiwa T195S and F195S of which the engines are Mitsubishi.
Scroll down the left side of this op's manual, until you see where the warranty info is located. The a little ways into that is all the Mitsubishi info related to this trimmer engine.

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMPS05249_J2/Output/Index.html?tM=FR