JD X534 Mower Problems

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Gerrha, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Gerrha

Gerrha LawnSite Member

I have a John Deere X534 riding mower with 375 hours on it. This has a Kawasaki FS730V engine. Everything was good until about 300 hours, when, while mowing, it would suddenly die after about 30-minutes. It would not restart until maybe 30-minutes later, but it would then only run another few minutes before dying. Sometimes it would back-fire randomly as it was dying or while trying to restart. This did not happen every time, but as time went by, it happened more and more until this scenario would happen every time the mower was used.

At about 370 hours, I did the following: Replaced fuel filter and fuel lines, replaced air filters, replaced fuel pump, rebuilt the carburetor, replaced both magnetos and spark plugs (magneto gap at 0.008"), cleaned the solenoid on/off valve located at the carburetor, and cleaned all engine cooling fins. By the way, this model does not have a vented fuel cap. The fuel tank is vented by a return line from the carburetor/air inlet.

Since these things have been done, I do notice that the mower starts easier when cold. However, it still does not work properly. As an example: Yesterday while mowing, after about 30-minutes, it started stalling preparing to die, but if I immediately shut off the mower it would recover and I could then continue mowing. This process repeated itself every 10-mintes until I finished mowing. This morning I used it for an hour spreading fire ant bait. I then removed the spreader and attached my sprayer planning to spray some weeds. The engine was still hot and it would not start. I am sure if I give it a 30-minute break it will run just fine and I can spray weeds.

Any ideas here?

2. wishfull

wishfull LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about your X534 but all of my JD mowers ( a 425,445 gas and X585, X 748, X754 ) all have an overheat sensor and will shut your machine down if overheated. Could very well have a low oil sensor as well. Sensors could be acting up even though your gauges say otherwise.
    As you have covered pretty much all the basis It almost leaves the overheat sensors as the culprit. Wish I could be of more help here.

3. OP
    OP
    Gerrha

Gerrha LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if this model has that and I have pored over the drawings at the JD website and I did not see anything like that. But, I forgot to mention in my original post that the oil and filter are also new and full.

Just as an update, I went outside after posting the original and the mower started instantly. I sprayed weeds for 15-minutes with the mower at just above idle. It died and now will not restart.

Could it be valves?

4. JP in KC

JP in KC LawnSite Member

If it's cheap enough, I'd buy a new carburetor. Or if you can get such a thing, the fuel shutoff solenoid for it. I've had a couple of different engines develop pretty much exactly those symptoms and the issue was that the fuel shutoff solenoid at the carb was no longer working properly. I know you said you cleaned it, but it might just be worn enough that it doesn't work right whether dirty or clean.

5. OP
    OP
    Gerrha

Gerrha LawnSite Member

That solenoid has been on my mind for some time, but consider this. If it is working properly, when you turn the key to start, just before the engine turns over, that solenoid will make a click sound if it pulls in, which means it is working. I have carefully listened for that click and it has always been there even when the engine is very warm and the mower will not start.

There are only two things left, that solenoid and the valves. I think I can jury rig something to test whether it is the solenoid without buying one. As I remember, just the solenoid is in the $150 range and its sole purpose is to prevent backfiring when you shut off the engine.

6. JP in KC

JP in KC LawnSite Member

I'm not familiar with the exact one you're working with, but I was able to confirm it was the issue on at least one of the motors I mentioned by just pulling the solenoid off and sticking the bolt back in the carb bowl. A replacement carb cost me $65 for that one, I think.

Side note: I don't know what a $150 solenoid would be made of. Gold, diamonds, and unicorn tears? Sheesh. And I'm no Deere hater; I have a 5103, an 850, and a little Deere lawn tractor.

7. OP
    OP
    Gerrha

Gerrha LawnSite Member

Yes, that is what I am going to do. I sort of remember it being a standard thread or at least simple to find. I will give that a try tomorrow when it is cool.

8. JP in KC

JP in KC LawnSite Member

1/4-20 is sticking in my mind for some reason, but I could be wrong.

9. OP
    OP
    Gerrha

Gerrha LawnSite Member

1/4-28 was sticking in my mind, but I will find when it comes off. Nothing on the thing is regular thread so it may be metric.

10. OP
    OP
    Gerrha

Gerrha LawnSite Member

As an update, I replaced the solenoid valve on the carburetor and the problem is still there and getting worse.

I started out today and I noticed that the engine is hunting or surging. I do not remember it doing that before. It does this even at higher throttle, but it is less noticeable at higher throttle. I was running at about 1/3rd throttle spraying weeds for about 15-minutes and it just died and it will not restart.

It acts like it is not getting fuel when this happens and in fact the fuel filter is never more than about 1/4 full of gas despite the tank being full.

I do not know what else to do?