JD Z820A zero turn PTO issue

LawnMaster66

LawnSite Member
Hey there, new to the forum. Thank you in advance for any comments.
I have a JD Z820A zero turn that’s been working perfectly since I bought it two years ago. Was using it today and the blades disengaged randomly. I tried turning them back on but they wouldn’t engage. I turned the mower off and tried to restart it and it wouldn’t start. No lights came on, weird noises, or leaking that I can see.
I left it for about 10 minutes and tried turning it back on again and it fired right up like normal. PTO still won’t engage. Drove it to my barn, turned it off and try turning it right back on and it wouldn’t start.

I just got an oil change, new spark plugs, and belts for the machine. The oil is full.

Has anyone had this specific issue before? Going to start troubleshooting now.

Stripes4daze

LawnSite Member
Clutch could be on its way out. It also could be the switch that engages it. The old push pull ones used to go on me alot. They switched the push pull to a rocker switch. It came with an extra harness that goes between switch and factory wiring. Havent had 1 problem since I changed it out. You will need to file one of the openings to fit the new switch, but its worth it

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey there, new to the forum. Thank you in advance for any comments.
I have a JD Z820A zero turn that’s been working perfectly since I bought it two years ago. Was using it today and the blades disengaged randomly. I tried turning them back on but they wouldn’t engage. I turned the mower off and tried to restart it and it wouldn’t start. No lights came on, weird noises, or leaking that I can see.
I left it for about 10 minutes and tried turning it back on again and it fired right up like normal. PTO still won’t engage. Drove it to my barn, turned it off and try turning it right back on and it wouldn’t start.

I just got an oil change, new spark plugs, and belts for the machine. The oil is full.

Has anyone had this specific issue before? Going to start troubleshooting now.
I am far from being a mower mechanic, but I would lean toward the PTO switch, for only $20 is worth a try.
Amazon.com : HD Switch 10 AMP OEM Upgrade Clutch PTO Switch Replaces John Deere Z810, Z810A, Z820, Z820A, Z830, Z830A : Garden & Outdoor

OP
L

LawnMaster66

LawnSite Member
Clutch could be on its way out. It also could be the switch that engages it. The old push pull ones used to go on me alot. They switched the push pull to a rocker switch. It came with an extra harness that goes between switch and factory wiring. Havent had 1 problem since I changed it out. You will need to file one of the openings to fit the new switch, but its worth it
Thank you! That’s what it was. I replaced the switch and that fixed it.

Top Forums