JD Z960R with MOD issues ressolved

Nwatson99

LawnSite Member
Back on June 05 I received my new Z960R with MOD deck, so after installing my lights and bikini top on it I was able to mow the next day.
MOD deck worked perfectly around the home, driveway, flowers, etc just like it was advertised to work, however while mowing in open areas of my yard I was noticing after each pass I was seeing uncut grass and stragglers in the already cut path, so I went to the garage and checked the blades, grass accumulation under the deck and deck pitch. The deck and everything seemed fine, so that evening and the next day I played with the deck pitch a little bit and altered from 1/4" to 1/2" pitch just seeing if I could find a happy medium but nothing seemed to work.
I contacted my dealer and telling him of the issues I was having and we discussed it a little more so I ordered a set of replacement blades that were the mulching blades for the MOD deck and tired them the next week and weekend with everything I went through above.
The weekend after playing with the deck I sat down that Sunday evening and put everything into a e-mail to the dealership of what had happened and everything I had tried to get the machine to cut correctly, plus with what I thought about the engineering issues of the deck and next morning at around 8:30 I get a call from the dealership that they are on the way to pick up my new machine and bringing me my old 930A back to me to use, well after the tech arrives I had him drop the deck down and mow to see what he thought, same results and he could not believe it was cutting that bad at half speed.
Fast forward with several conversations with the dealership throughout that week, I get a call Friday evening stating a new machine was on order with the 7 Iron Pro deck and they could not get the MOD deck to cut correctly.
The dealer also informed me they had sent my comments to JD for what I though the issues were with the deck, baffling system, and angles hanging low for support the MOD doors so hopefully they will look into this issue and get this deck working properly with mowing at higher speeds.
Last week on July 16th another brand new Z960R was delivered with the 7 Iron Pro deck, I mowed with it dodging the rain over the weekend and the cut is just unreal, natural visible striping, no stragglers, no uncut grass, this machine with the stronger engine is a solid beast and plows through the grass without any engine bog down at all.

I owe credit to the dealer, after their experimenting they really pushed the issue for a new machine and finally got JD to concur and agree with it, I was surprised to hear of a new machine I would have been just as happy with a new deck.

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
JD Dealers are great

But yes MOD decks are horrible they need corrected I'm glad you got your 7 Iron its a BEAST

I want a Go Pro to film mowing hehe

OP
Nwatson99

Nwatson99

LawnSite Member
Oh and I added the Power Chute to this machine, it seems to work fine and I like it thus far.
I dreaded this topic, cause I know RG is going to give me another "I told you so"

ST you will need two, one mounted to the front and one to the rear. LOL

ilike2mow

LawnSite Bronze Member
JD Dealers are great

But yes MOD decks are horrible they need corrected I'm glad you got your 7 Iron its a BEAST

I want a Go Pro to film mowing hehe

Yeah I've heard that about the 7 iron. I've gotten the chance to watch a buddy of mine who has 3 John Deere Z traks (two gas and one diesel 997). They all have 7 iron decks and they are beasts! He cut some grass that was knee deep and those decks spread the grass despite being extremely tall.

OP
Nwatson99

Nwatson99

LawnSite Member
Yeah I've heard that about the 7 iron. I've gotten the chance to watch a buddy of mine who has 3 John Deere Z traks (two gas and one diesel 997). They all have 7 iron decks and they are beasts! He cut some grass that was knee deep and those decks spread the grass despite being extremely tall.

When are you getting yours? hehe

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I have heard the MOD is a difficult animal to tame.

An LCO in town here runs them. He even mulches wide open lots - going very slow albeit.
What a total waste of time.

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
ST you will need two, one mounted to the front and one to the rear. LOL

Yeah not been posting pics of my properties or cuts much because small town 5,000 and my ex-gravely dealers been slandering our business lately I hear, he is one sorry POS, he was selling 3yr old units knowing fully well what he was doing as 2014s I busted his ass.

Hopefully Gravely will drop him soon Exmark did years ago because of his bs and sears just dropped him, he never sells anything because he hate his business hes so rich no need to worry only thing he makes money off of really is fixing box store stuff and ripping people off on it. Gravely drops him he is done because we have a lot of mower repair guys here now for the box store stuff he makes his living on moving away from his business and they do 10x better jobs.

OP
Nwatson99

Nwatson99

LawnSite Member
Well call Gravely and report his sorry arse.

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
Done that before I got my deere, no dealers within a hour from here so they got to keep his dumbass around, even though he hardly sells any units

Either way Gravely Corp. is awesome they always have been they tried to help but never spend a penny at his shop again, he banned us from there after I caught him selling 3yr old models for 2014s he knew what he was doing lol

Top Forums