Lawn Care Forum banner

Jersey Guys

421K views 3K replies 186 participants last post by  phasthound 
#1 ·
Just figured I would see how many of us are on here. I've been starting to see a lot more of us. Lawnsite is a pretty cool concept in general, talking to lawn guys across the country and even the world, but I think it's even cooler talking to lcos that are only a few miles away and didn't even know it. Let's try to keep our own little sub-forum going that we we can always reach out to our local lco's.

#2 ·
Bill, your right. This is a great networking opportunity. Other networking opportunities,include, the many green industry associations and their trade shows representing the state, as well as education sessions offered by manufacturers, dealers and the short course program at Rutgers. It's amazing just how many green industry companies are in this state and how few know each other.

Kirk

#3 ·
Bill, your right. This is a great networking opportunity. Other networking opportunities,include, the many green industry associations and their trade shows representing the state, as well as education sessions offered by manufacturers, dealers and the short course program at Rutgers. It's amazing just how many green industry companies are in this state and how few know each other.

Kirk
Exactly, everyone try to get in on this. Maybe say which area of Jersey your from and mention some of the trade shows, associations and such that the state provides and that we can take advantage of. I'm in Manchester (Ocean County) and the only Jersey trade show that I know of is the Pants convention in Atlantic City, which I believe is more for landscaping than lawn maintenance.

#5 ·
Bill, PANTS will no longer be in Atlantic City, as they have moved it back to Valley Forge. MAHTS, the EP Henry paver show was also in Atlantic City, but has been cancelled due to trying a roving presentation, similar to the Techo-Bloc showcases.

MANTS, is held in Baltimore in January and is a worthwhile show for information about plants and supplies. Both of the major organizations representing landscapers in NJ do shows involving training and exhibit halls.

The NJLCA show will be February 25 at the Meadowlands Exhibition center in Secaucus and the NJNLA show will be January 14 & 15 at the garden State Exhibition Center in Somerset. Both have some classes and a large exhibition space with vendors including mower sales, equipment dealers, nurseries, hardscape manufacturers and suppliers as well as business services. Either or both shows are worth attending and the prices are usually quite reasonable.

Kirk

#6 ·
Bill, PANTS will no longer be in Atlantic City, as they have moved it back to Valley Forge. MAHTS, the EP Henry paver show was also in Atlantic City, but has been cancelled due to trying a roving presentation, similar to the Techo-Bloc showcases.

MANTS, is held in Baltimore in January and is a worthwhile show for information about plants and supplies. Both of the major organizations representing landscapers in NJ do shows involving training and exhibit halls.

The NJLCA show will be February 25 at the Meadowlands Exhibition center in Secaucus and the NJNLA show will be January 14 & 15 at the garden State Exhibition Center in Somerset. Both have some classes and a large exhibition space with vendors including mower sales, equipment dealers, nurseries, hardscape manufacturers and suppliers as well as business services. Either or both shows are worth attending and the prices are usually quite reasonable.

Kirk
Kirk-- Thanks for the info, man. I'll definitely have to check out at least one of those this winter if not both. I appreciate the heads up.

#8 ·
From what I have been told, there won't be any type of workshops. They will be meet and greet seminars with information about the company, new products and colors and new programs as well as an overview of the existing products.

Looks like quality education and information will be harder to come by, but that's not EP Henry's responsibility. All the manufacturers of pavers and walls along with the ancillary manufacturers must see a need for more and better education in the hardscape field. Having a national show is great, but regional shows will bring in more attendees and introduce contractors to the products and services available in their own areas.

Kirk

#10 ·
CCM has some great programs and you should look into what is offered at Rutgers in the professional landscape programs. Unfortunately the Rutgers hardscape program is geared towards introduction rather than tips, techniques and trends.
http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/programs/landscape.html

There are consultants that come out to your job with you from start to finish, and be part of the design process. Many manufacturer reps can also be knowledgeable and helpful on projects.

Kirk

#11 ·
CCM has some great programs and you should look into what is offered at Rutgers in the professional landscape programs. Unfortunately the Rutgers hardscape program is geared towards introduction rather than tips, techniques and trends.
http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/programs/landscape.html

There are consultants that come out to your job with you from start to finish, and be part of the design process. Many manufacturer reps can also be knowledgeable and helpful on projects.

Kirk
Great thanks. Yeah when I'm done at CCM I think I'm going to continue at Rutgers. Where do they offer their ag courses? I know they have a few campuses and the main one is about an hour and a half from me.

#12 ·
The professional short course are at the New Brunswick campus, in what used to be called Cook College. It has some new name now, but same great location. The landscape architecture department is also located there. it's about an hour and half north for me as well, but the classes are definitely worthwhile.

Kirk

#15 ·
Matt, I'll definitely be there for many classes. The water management and drainage class is this month on the 17th, and that is an essential program for anyone doing any type of landscaping or hardscaping. Drainage is such an important, overlooked aspect of landscapes, and it's a good money maker as well. Are you thinking of attending some of the short courses?

As long as the student numbers warrant it, I will be at the Basics of Plant Materials for Landscape use as well as Beds and Borders and I would certainly like to attend Principles and Practices of Landscape Design as well as a couple of the new design specific programs. Every program has real world instructors that are performing what they are teaching, for paying clients.

Kirk

#18 ·
Hey guys, does anyone know if it is too late to put in some violas or pansies? When I used to work at Brickman we put them in at the end of the year but I think I missed my window. Any help would be appreciated.

#19 ·
Bill, you can definitely put them in, but they likely won't look very good. The cold has been brutal along with the winds. If they are planted properly and mulched in, you should get a good show come spring.

If you are looking for some winter color for a good client, check out Hellebores. They are not at all cheap, but the show they put on in the winter is amazing. They are perennial and will continue to expand the clump year after year. They make an amazing winter ground cover. Depending on your climate, they may completely disappear in the heat of summer or just look very disheveled, but you can cut the evergreen foliage back.

Kirk

#23 ·
Bill, you can definitely put them in, but they likely won't look very good. The cold has been brutal along with the winds. If they are planted properly and mulched in, you should get a good show come spring.

If you are looking for some winter color for a good client, check out Hellebores. They are not at all cheap, but the show they put on in the winter is amazing. They are perennial and will continue to expand the clump year after year. They make an amazing winter ground cover. Depending on your climate, they may completely disappear in the heat of summer or just look very disheveled, but you can cut the evergreen foliage back.

Kirk
That's cool. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

#24 ·
Anyone going to make the Water Management & Drainage class, next Wednesday at Rutgers? http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/courses/current/al0602ca.html

There's a;so the Basics of Turfgrass Management on Tuesday at Rutgers. I attended this class when it was taught by Barbara Bromley and it was excellent. By the end of the day, we had a much better understanding of grass and it's maintenance. The class is now taught by another Rutgers instructor, but I have not attended any of his programs. http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/courses/current/at0406ca.html

Kirk

#25 ·
Speaking of education over the winter, I'm planning on doing some as well.

I have some questions if anyone has any info. to help

Classes I'm thinking of attending:
Atlantic city ICPI certified installer (by johndeer)
Rutgers SRW class
Rutgers Water feature class
Rutgers Intro to plant identification class (not the more expensive one)
Rutgers Pruning class
Rutgers Advanced Pruning class
Rutgers Principles of Landscape Design
Rutgers Landscape Lighting class

Anyone taken any of these classes before? Personal Suggestions? Anything a waste of time?

They offer a paver installation course as well

I have been in the industry for a few years, but like it seems others are doing, I just have free time and wan't to broaden my knowledge

#26 ·
The ICPI class will definitely be a good investment. The information and standards they profess are a great guideline. If anyone other than those in the industry knew what the ICPI was the certification would be much more meaningful.

I have been involved with all of the Rutgers classes and know you will get some good information from all of them, depending on what your actual skill and knowledge level is and what you want to know. The courses they offer for the certificate for are as a group, are an excellent source of primary information and should be concentrated on before venturing into the more glorified programs. As an example, the knowledge about soils and drainage are a precursor for installing pavers, SRW's, landscaping, and turf or plant maintenance.

The Paver class is a very baisc program that maybe redundant to the more intense and certified ICPI program.

The SRW class will cover the basics of wall and step building.

The Water Feature class will enlighten you to sustainable pond building and pondless features.

Intro to Plant ID is a course anyone that fancies themselves as a landscaper should take and have a much better understanding of how and what grows around us. The instructor in that program is amazing, and you will be given a great deal of information and work in two days. If you can afford it, the Basics of Plants for Landscape use is an intense and mind expanding experience. In the new 5 day format, the information will come fast and vast, but if you are up for the challenge and you really want to understand what plant goes where and why, this is that next step.

The Pruning and Advanced Pruning classes will teach you the proper ways to prune what, when, how and why. They will teach you that gas powered shears or not the first pruning tool you should be reaching for and why, and when they are appropriate. You spend plenty of time outside practicing your new knowledge.

The Principles of Landscape Design is taught by two excellent, knowledgeable and practical instructors. And yes, they are artistic and talented as well. This course will give you the basic theory with flair and style.

The Landscape Lighting class is taught by the owner of Cast lighting and will give you the basics of installing lighting using a hub system and some basic design, marketing and selling information.

Kirk