Lawn Care Forum banner
1,401 - 1,420 of 2,642 Posts
NJ is a joke when it comes to this,
Just today while talking to my partner in the Hess Station
we counted 6 landscapers with no commercial plates, 2 of them even had fertilizer spreaders and bags of Lesco Pre-em in their trucks in plain sight. All in 30 minutes this morning.
They (NJ) make us buy all these licenses and insurance and workers comp and it gets to a point we cant compete with them. It never really bothered me as much as it does now. Did an estimate today for $50 and the lady said to me the last company here gave her a price of $30 and they would bag it...LOL
She showed it to me it was scribbled on a piece of paper with the company name on top. Actually said $30 ..cash only .. no tax ....nice

Something needs to be done
two pesticide inspectors for the entire state of nj, only time they come around is if there's a complaint...and it's usually to bust the stones of the guys that are legit! the only ones i've heard doing random field inspections are nj dept. of labor. they're broke and they need more money so landscapers are def an easy target!

dep is out in force (as in the countys hazmat team has been given authority to enforce regs) i know of three people who where stopped in monmouth county last week, two made out well, the third one didn't (three violations). everyone better be on the up and up. they are checking everything. remember any pesticide applied (round up, treflan, snapshot, etc.) you need a license. lots of landscapers don't think they need a pest. license for this.

dep is out in force (as in the countys hazmat team has been given authority to enforce regs) i know of three people who where stopped in monmouth county last week, two made out well, the third one didn't (three violations). everyone better be on the up and up. they are checking everything. remember any pesticide applied (round up, treflan, snapshot, etc.) you need a license. lots of landscapers don't think they need a pest. license for this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Let me ask this question one more time

Do you charge customers for taxes on all services in NJ ? I been figuring out taxes in my quotes but have no clue if I am suppose to charge tax or not

I know on grass cutting you do what about planting ? mulch ? I mean I get charged taxes at the yard so they should pay it back no ?

what about pavers gravel topsoil etc ? mixed info some say it is capital improvement and some say its not !

And do you just file taxes quarterly online ? like any other business ?

edit : google is my friend

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/landscape.shtml

Let me ask this question one more time

Do you charge customers for taxes on all services in NJ ? I been figuring out taxes in my quotes but have no clue if I am suppose to charge tax or not

I know on grass cutting you do what about planting ? mulch ? I mean I get charged taxes at the yard so they should pay it back no ?

what about pavers gravel topsoil etc ? mixed info some say it is capital improvement and some say its not !

And do you just file taxes quarterly online ? like any other business ?

edit : google is my friend

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/landscape.shtml
Anything that is hardscaping is NON taxable. That would be Pavers, Fencing, Ponds, etc.

You do need to charge sales tax on any landscape work. That would be mowing, trimming, mulching, plant design and installation, or any other landscape oriented work. Then you are only supposed to charge tax on the labor portion of the work. Not the full invoice.

This is my understanding of sales tax but there is so much crap I could be off for all I know.

Anything that is hardscaping is NON taxable. That would be Pavers, Fencing, Ponds, etc.

You do need to charge sales tax on any landscape work. That would be mowing, trimming, mulching, plant design and installation, or any other landscape oriented work. Then you are only supposed to charge tax on the labor portion of the work. Not the full invoice.

This is my understanding of sales tax but there is so much crap I could be off for all I know.
And for filing you have to file quarterly but if your sales tax collections are more than $500 a month you have to file monthly.

Such a true statement
I drive past this persons house everyday, Couple days ago they where unloading Bagged Mulch from the back of a Mini Van. Yeah that's Cheaper @ $70 a yard. Do people not realize its takes 14 bags to make 1 yard of Mulch. I so want to Stop again and tell them they are idiots.

Sussex County guys? Need 2 yards of Mulch delivered. Msg me for the info.

Thanks

Mathew

Discussion starter · #1,415 ·
Does anyone do landscape lighting in the Ocean County area? I have a good friend of mine that are looking to have it done at their house and I do not do it so I was hoping someone on here did. Thanks.

1,401 - 1,420 of 2,642 Posts