John deere 14sb handle/blade lever

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Brandy Rhoades, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Brandy Rhoades

Brandy Rhoades LawnSite Member

About to purchase a john deere 14sb after doing my research and coming across one. The only thing that makes me weary is that there is no blade lever handle. I'm not sure if that's normal and some models didnt include them or what. Also, I have no knowledge of lawn mowers. This will be my first one. Just bought a house. Here are pictures of the one I'm purchasing vs one o found online that includes a blade lever. I'd appreciate any feedback.

20190115_114629.jpg

20190115_114721.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    Brandy Rhoades

Also added more images of the one I'm buyinng

20190115_114553.jpg

Screenshot_20190115-114510_Facebook.jpg

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

That "bail" is the same thing as a blade lever. If you let go of the "bail" while mowing the engine and the blade stop. I think that's what you meant.

20190115_114629 (1).jpg

4. OP
    OP
    Brandy Rhoades

This is the lever I'm talking about

5. OP
    OP
    Brandy Rhoades

6. agrostis

Something doesn't make sense. Why is that picture the only one (out of the original 4) that has that split bail. Which, by the way, you do not want.

7. OP
    OP
    Brandy Rhoades

Sorry, I dont think I'm explaining clearly. The one with what you're calling a split bail is an image I found on google. That's what I'm comparing my images with and when I also saw that my 14sb did not have one. I was wondering if it is because it's missing or there are different models of the 14sb. That piece i circled, I feel like that is a blade lever. The only reason I say that is because one of the images I found, i zoomed in and that's what it was labeled as on a sticker. Also googled the part. Basically wanna know if the original pictures are right and do not have a blade lever before I go purchase this mower.

8. agrostis

That pic with the blade lever, the one i'm calling a split bail, is probably is self-propelled mower and that upper "blade lever" is its on/off. The bottom lever is the motor on/off.

Unless you really need a self-propelled mower, i would not recommend that feature. The drive gears wear out way too fast and cost a bunch of money to fix.

That kind of split bail/blade lever/safety handle is fine when your going straight but when you want to turn, holding both those levers and the mower handle itself is a major pain.

Do yourself a big favor and don't get any mower with that dual-lever arrangement.

9. OP
    OP
    Brandy Rhoades

Got ya. I'm going to pick up the mower tomorrow. It's just a concern for me if it is messing a blade control. Crossing my fingers that it's a different model or something.