1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 14SB New Motor?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kennygee, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Kennygee

Kennygee LawnSite Member

I have an older JD 14SB and it is starting to get old in the tooth. I think I found a new kawasaki engine for it for $200.00. Is it worth doing it or should I just run it till it dies!! It does need new rear wheels and the tranny has never given me any problems. I was considering using this as my primary 21" mower . I will be doing 8-10 small yards a week. Thanks

2. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

Yeah it will handle it, i used my '89 model for 2 full season of 10 lawns. Keep the rear axle bushings greased, change oil frequently (do you have an oil filter on yours?, i dont). Mine was used by a homeowner for 13years (about 1 hour to cut a week), then became my mower for 2 years, now its a trim mower. Those wheels are expensive, around $20 here. I estimate mine to have around 800hrs. One thing i noticed is that the cable for the drive clutch breaks and then you have to push this 200lb monster, so get a spare.

3. Kennygee

Kennygee LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure it will haandle it but do You think it is worth the money to do it and what else should I change ,replace while I have it torn apart. It looks like I will have lots of time with all the rain we have been getting here. Maybe I should invest in an ARK instead!!