• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

John Deere 318

ducky1

LawnSite Senior Member
There has been Briggs engines put on the 318 to replace the Onan but has anybody put a honda on one? If so, is there any modifications need to be made?
ducky

WHIPPLE5.7

LawnSite Senior Member
I do think i saw one guy who did that. I've got a 318 myself but mine only has 390 hours so I'm guessing I've got awhile before I need to worry about that. Briggs and Onan suck in my opinion. Maybe consider a Kawasaki as well, but the Honda is probably cheaper.

pugs

LawnSite Gold Member
Small engine warehouse has kits. Looks like they are only for Briggs engines, but its a Vanguard Briggs....same commercial quality as Honda, Kawasaki, Kohler...

OP
D

ducky1

LawnSite Senior Member
I seen the ones at Small engine warehouse but I was kinda wanting to go with a honda. Might consider a Kaw if the price was right. Both are a good quality engine.

pugs

LawnSite Gold Member
You could make anything work...but they have taken the guess work out by making those kits. Going from an opposed twin Onan to a V-twin will require some tinkering. Not even sure the Onan mounted in there using the standard pattern that most V-twins use these days. Then the length of the engine could be a problem since you are driving something off both ends of the engine. Your next problem is a muffler...

Where did you find the Kohler setup?