1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

john deere 48 walkbehind pto want engage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rjones, Jun 19, 2004.

1. rjones

rjones LawnSite Member

John Deere 48 walk-behind, PTO want engage, replaced PTO switch and fuse,no luck. What else can I try?

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

There is at least one person a week on this site with electric PTO problems. It would be quicker for yo to do a search on this site for PTO or PTO clutch or electric clutch. I did and came back with over a 100 hits. You could have a blown fuse, a bad safety switch or a bad clutch or mis-adjusted clutch. Do you have power at the clutch? Unplug the clutch and hook it to a 12 volt battery and see if it works. I work in a small engine shop and 9 time out of 10 it is a bad safety switch or lose wire. Good luck

3. rjones

rjones LawnSite Member

I checked the fuse and it looked ok, I replaced it anyway. I also checked the clutch linkage and it appears to be ok. The wiring seems to be intact with no loose wires. I replaced the PTO switch and still no luck. Any more suggestions?

4. NCStripeKing

NCStripeKing LawnSite Member

Put 12 volts on the clutch, like fixer67 said. See what happens.