John Deere 700 series?

I've noticed that these mowers seem to have a very low re-sale value.

What is there place in the market? Where do they stake up compared to other companies mowers? Would like to see what y'all think about the 700 series.

I'm getting a used 717a for this upcoming season. It looks to be a perfect mower for my needs.

Last edited:

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
ridin' green has a z700 series mower. there's just small differences between them and the z900 series. round bar on the deck edges instead of thicker square on the 900s. 10cc pumps instead of 13cc. small differences but nothing major. maybe he will see this post and respond with his experience.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I did see this post earlier today when it first went up, but since the OP is buying a 717, I assumed he was asking about the older 700 series, so I didn't respond since I have no experience with them.:)

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
ok my bad. :laugh: what is yours? i get confused with all these numbers. :dizzy:

i even get confused with other brands like scag with the tiger cat and wildcat. i don't see alot of differences between them. it seems they would have one or the other. i guess that's better than numbers though to keep things less confusing. :laugh:

if i had the money i would start my own mower company and simplify things a bit.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I have the Z720A. There's no more Tiger Cat now. Just the Wildcat. Hey, I tried to pm you but you don't have one. What's up with that?

StihlMechanic

LawnSite Bronze Member
The 717a was in line with the 727, 737, 757, and 797. They were the models offered before the 800 series JD's. The 700 and 900 series of today are not the same as the 700 series of a few years ago.

OP
BBC.lawn.services

BBC.lawn.services

LawnSite Member
What did they change on the old 700 series to create the now extinct 800 series? Must not have worked to well...

Jasonslawncare1 and Riding Green. You guys know a lot about Deere mowers. You add a lot to the site! I wish others would be willing to become experts on their chosen brand of mowers. Can't wait to "join" the mean green machine "club"! Deere has the best dealer support in my area so it looks like I'm going Deere and STIHL for my equipment.

Hope to get many years of money making goodness out of this stuff... got my trailer today as well as trimmer line, safety equipment, and name tags. Can't wait to getting about making money instead of spending it! :laugh: