John Deere 757 Ignition Coil

Bob T.

LawnSite Member
I bought an ignition coil for my John Deere. Trying to save money I bought from a dealer two hours from me, by mail. The coil didn't work, even after I swapped my other coil (two spark plug 25 hp Kawasaki). In fact to get the mower to even fire at all, I had to remove the kill wire from the new coil which side was not firing.

I returned the coil, they sent me another. This coil seems to have another terminal for a kill wire, though they folded it over and it's touching the laminated core. (see images).

So now the same thing with the kill wire on, the mower doesn't start. If I remove the kill wire from the new coil, I do get both spark plugs to fire, but then it takes a few seconds to stop, since I have removed the kill wire.

I am frustrated, trying to save 30 dollars I have spent countless time on this, so I should have just bought a John Deere coil!

But now that I have the new coil firing, should I try to pry the other terminal away from the laminated metal sheets on the coil? Could that be the reason it's not starting with the kill wire on the other terminal?

My wife took these pictures & I should have had her take a picture of both terminals at the same time. But the pictures clearly show both terminals, and the one I am concerned with is folded over touching the laminated core.

Attachments

• 26722compressed.jpeg
    26722compressed.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 26723compressed.jpeg
    26723compressed.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 26724compressed.jpeg
    26724compressed.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 26725compressed.jpeg
    26725compressed.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 22

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
One of your safeties is sticking or something is grounding out......now you get to have fun finding it...........good luck.........

OP
Bob T.

Bob T.

LawnSite Member
Should I take the folded terminal on the new coil and pull it away from the laminated core?

I have switched the coils and only the new coil doesn't work, so it shouldn't be anything on the tractor itself causing this?

Attachments

• extra-terminal-touching-core.JPG
    extra-terminal-touching-core.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 21

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
I have never seen that before, maybe just get a jd coil. If you bend that you may not be able to return it, it shouldn't be bent. But with the kill wires off and you get spark your problem is elsewhere. Try the old coil with no kill wire see if it sparks

OP
Bob T.

Bob T.

LawnSite Member
I have already done that. The John Deere coil works on both sides, the new coil is not working. If I remove the terminal that is attached to the laminated core, it might work. But you are right, I am going to return and get a John Deere coil.

Top Forums