1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 790 tractor ???

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by TerraFirma Excavating, Sep 24, 2004.

1. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I have been considering purchasing a John Deere 790 tractor with turf tires. I plan on equipping it with the 60" mid-mount mower and using it primarily for mowing the lawn. I also plan on purchasing a rototiller and possibly a box blade. Is this too big of tractor for mowing (about 2 arces of lawn) with and too small for rototilling (about 1 acre)? I think the 790 with the mid-mount mower is about $15,000. I don't know how much a PTO driven rototiller is. BTW, I plan on buying 3 more acres across the street and installing a soccer field (180'x330', about 1.5 acres) next year, so I will have a larger area to mow. Or would I be better off purchasing a large garden tractor for mowing, say a JD GX345 with 54" deck (about $8,500) and the rototiller attachment for my Bobcat (about $5,000)?

I have a Bobcat 773 for loader work, so I don't plan on purchasing the loader attachment. I also have the 60" Brushcat for the Bobcat, so I don't need a rotary cutter for the tractor. Also, my business is currently more geared toward landscaping and land clearing right now. I don't plan on a mowing service other than just the first or second mowings on new lawns, but will do those with a walk behind mower. I might set my son (14 years old now) with a mowing business soon, but would be 2 years before he could drive and tow a trailer to a job with a riding mower.

2. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I do like the thought of having a lighter weight piece of equipment (2000# for the 790) than my Bobcat (6200#) for work in delicate areas. Who knows, I may want to add a loader to the tractor in the future for lightweight loader activities in sensitive ground conditions. Currently, my Bobcat leaves pretty good indentations if I have to drive across a lawn.

3. alexjohndeere06

alexjohndeere06 LawnSite Member

I have a Deere 790 with ag tires on it that are really good. but since you are going to do turf work i agree with you. turf tires do decent with a loader as long as you get 4wd. my JD 855 has a loader and a 72 inch mower that does great. I had turf tires on it at first but i replaced them with ag tires.