John Deere 997 High Water Temp Alarm

Flipside1955

LawnSite Member
Hello,

John Deere 997 operators-

When the water temp alarm sounds and the PTO shuts off, does the alarm silence on its own after the engine cools down, or do you have to stop and restart the engine to reset the alarm (assuming the engine has cooled down) and engage the PTO again?

Also, at what temperature does the alarm sound? I asked the mechanic at the dealer and he didn't know the spec. I'm guessing around 210-215 deg water temp?

Thanks in advance for any help. I did a lot of reading on this site before I bought the 997, there is a ton of good information here. BTW we really like the mower, it is an impressive machine.

Thanks again.

OP
F

Flipside1955

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about that.

I did some more digging on the coolant temp switch- the contacts close at 200-207 F per the service manual.

The 997 has only overheated on me once, because the dealer left the bottom strip (John Deere calls it an isolator) that seals the hood and radiator shroud. The radiator was absolutely covered with grass. Once I got the hood shroud sealed up it hasnt done it again. Now, the rear black grille screen can almost be covered up with grass but the radiator itself is clear. It will still warm up some if that rear grille is mostly blocked, according to an IR temp gun, but it hasnt overheated yet.

The grille screen will wipe off easily with your hand with the engine running, and if you kill the engine most of it will fall off on its own.

Thanks again for the help.