• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

john deere buys scag out!

bababooie

LawnSite Member
i read today that j.d. bought scag,i wonder what the future holds for other co.also in my area n.e.ohio,most landscapers use scags,then walkers,then maybe exmarks,why is everybody so in love with these machines,please sell me on them.

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
JD bought out Great Dane. Did they buy Scag too?

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
At the rate these companies are buying each other out, they'll only be one left at the end of the year.

OP
B

bababooie

LawnSite Member
i use scags as do about 90% of the co. around here thats why i was wondering why everbody loves exmark,whats the major difference besides price? yes scag was bought to dane scag is now working for j.d.

chariot

LawnSite Senior Member
Where did you read this? Can you post a link to it if it is online? This is the first I have heard of this.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
John Deere did <i><b>not</i></b> buy Scag mowers. John Deere bought out Scag's (Dane Scag that is) latest venture, Great Dane mowers for 23 million dollars. The confusion may be a result of the tendacy for some people to call Scag mowers "Scags". An article in Lawn & Landscape said "By acquiring Scag's $23 million mower company...".

thelawnguy

LawnSite Silver Member
Originally posted by bababooie
i use scags as do about 90% of the co. around here thats why i was wondering why everbody loves exmark,whats the major difference besides price? yes scag was bought to dane scag is now working for j.d.
Dane Scag hasnt been involved in Scag mowers for years. Well, since 96 when he started Dane Co.

Around here co's buy a fleet of Scags then replace them with something else after the decks crack and the lousy local scag dealer service turns em off.

fdew

LawnSite Member
If history is a good guide then Dane Scag will start new a mower company shortly.

Frank