John deere compact utility tractor

DLONGLANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
I thought i would post a couple tractor pictures and prices of tractors i am looking at getting for this season.

These are the tractors i am looking at, all with FEL's and a 72" box blade
JOHN DEERE:
-3023e -$16,500
-3038e -$18,200
-3320 -$24000
-3520 -$26,600

KUBOTA:
B3300SU $17,500
B3200 $18,600
Main purpose is going to be to load trucks with mulch, small patio digouts, preparing sod installations and material hauling as well as it will be used a lot around the yard too. But i also plan to use it for tilling, grooming the sand at my cottage as well as fixing equipment(lifting up mowers and changing blades, tires, and parts easier).

I need a tractor this year also to eliminate renting 5-10 times per month a mini skid or skid steer. I know this size (3000 series) tractor isnt going to replace the need of a skid on some jobs, and i understand that, but for daily jobs i am getting, such as drainage and grading jobs where i am moving a lot of material into backyards, this machine is ideal because of how light it is compared to a skid steer(grass disturbance is killing me)

My concerns is the 3023e and the 3038e are basic basic tractors. They are cheap and have an un removable loader and no front or mid pto. The 3320 and 3520 are my ideal picks but they are a ton more money and im not going to suing the mid and front pto option at all my first 1-3 years(i dont need a snowblower or belly mower). Id like the option of a grapple bucket though and that is only possible with adding aux hydro off of the PTO and that is pricey.

My conerns with the kubota is the lack of dealer support, the small unspacious cab and personally i dont like orange equipment at all. I bleed green. MSU Spartan Fan, and Grew up around John Deere. I am debating between these three. the 3038e(price cant be beat and seems like the most economical of the three) the 3320(by far the most features and comes with mid, front pto a detachable loader, and ballast, air ride and all the fixings of a quality John deere) Or the B3200. It comes with a mid and front pto as well but has a much smaller loader and an extreamly small cab with an awkward loader control location. As well as the forward and reverse step is very awkward for me as well.

What to you guys think about these tractors. Id love to get the 3520 but its out of my price range and is almost 8k more than a 3038e. Let me know.

IMAG1822.jpg

IMAG1828.jpg

IMAG1829.jpg

IMAG1830.jpg

IMAG1831.jpg

IMAG1832.jpg

IMAG1823.jpg

JRSlawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I love the deere small cab tractors I am actually looking to buy one this year for brush hogging and winter snow work what was it extra for the cab air and heat option?

JRSlawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I love the deere small cab tractors I am actually looking to buy one this year for brush hogging and winter snow work what was it extra for the cab air and heat option?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Well, I bleed green too. I have owned several JD CUT's. If it were me, I'd go with one of the 3x20 series units. the E's are basic machines as you mentioned, and in the long run, you'll be much happier with a higher end unit. There's more than just the QA loader to think about. The higher end machines have better hydraulics, higher lift cap's, better transmissions etc., not to mention higher resale by a wide margin.

That pic was taken out in front of the Howell store. Been there many many times.:)

Kubota makes some great equipment, but I hate the way they look, and the orange isn't my taste either.

Dealer support is a big factor for a purchase that large IMO.

OP
D

DLONGLANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
it was like 7k more for a factory cab. Id like to get a cab too but im not going to spend another 7 k on a new machine.

OP
D

DLONGLANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well, I bleed green too. I have owned several JD CUT's. If it were me, I'd go with one of the 3x20 series units. the E's are basic machines as you mentioned, and in the long run, you'll be much happier with a higher end unit. There's more than just the QA loader to think about. The higher end machines have better hydraulics, higher lift cap's, better transmissions etc., not to mention higher resale by a wide margin.

That pic was taken out in front of the Howell store. Been there many many times.:)

Kubota makes some great equipment, but I hate the way they look, and the orange isn't my taste either.

Its really hard for me to dish out another 6k for the same size machine. I am going to finance either way, and its 1.9% for 72 months(which is a pretty damn low payment) I just want to put like 30%-50% down on the tractor to make the payment even smaller.

I think the 3038e would be perfect for me for the next 2 years and its really all i need this year because im not going to buy a bunch of attachments this year. But the 3320 is my ideal machine. I found a 3520 with 73 hours on it with the reversable???? transmission. What ddownfalls does that have instead of a hydro trans? I would much prefer the smooth hydro trans. The one i found was 20k with imatch 3pt hithc and a 72" back blade and a loader.

OP
D

DLONGLANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member

yea that is the howell store, i took pics when i was heading up for the Big ten championship game DAMN BUCKIES Stole it from us. I really dont care for the guys in there though, my dealer will be Weingartz, they carry a lot of kubota too but the servie departments say they rarely see JD's getting fixed, and when kubota's do get fixed the parts take forever to get in.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Its really hard for me to dish out another 6k for the same size machine. I am going to finance either way, and its 1.9% for 72 months(which is a pretty damn low payment) I just want to put like 30%-50% down on the tractor to make the payment even smaller.

I think the 3038e would be perfect for me for the next 2 years and its really all i need this year because im not going to buy a bunch of attachments this year. But the 3320 is my ideal machine. I found a 3520 with 73 hours on it with the reversable???? transmission. What ddownfalls does that have instead of a hydro trans? I would much prefer the smooth hydro trans. The one i found was 20k with imatch 3pt hithc and a 72" back blade and a loader.
The only Weingartz store that really carries JD anymore in any quantity is the FH's store, at least on this side of the state. They all can get you parts over the counter, or within a day or two though.

The trans you are asking about is the Pow'rReverser trans. It is far superior to a hydro, and almost as easy to use. I owned a 4500 for many years with the Pow'rReverser. You can shift from forward to reverse without any clutching what so ever needed without coming to a stop, but still use the clutch for feathering up to implements for attaching etc. It is a true planetary trans like those on used on large ag equipment, and is far more durable than a hydro. The hydro's are nice too though, and so easy to use that anyone can master one in a matter of minutes.

jlawnservice

LawnSite Member
have had 3 jd 3320's and love em for landscape work they are totally worthless for any kind of snow work thats what the bobcats are for

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
have had 3 jd 3320's and love em for landscape work they are totally worthless for any kind of snow work thats what the bobcats are for
What kind of tires did you have on them, R3 or R4's? Put some R1's and a ballast box or wheel weights on the rear end, and it's a whole new world.
I had R1's, and it would move snow like crazy. Pavement, or dirt, didn't matter.