1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

john deere engine help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chrisstory, Sep 22, 2013.

1. chrisstory

chrisstory LawnSite Member

I have a 757 with the 25hp. Last week I was mowing and it kept and continues stalling under load...its acting like it out of gas. I drained the fuel and refilled. Its continuing to happen. Not all the time but more and more frequently.....any ideas
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Dvasqz6

Dvasqz6 LawnSite Member

While in idling do you hear a slight misfire, if so it may be one off the ignition coil. To find out just for a few seconds disconnect one spark-plug at a time if the engine turns off that would be the that's not working.

3. chrisstory

Posted via Mobile Device

4. chrisstory

Posted via Mobile Device

5. chrisstory

If I choke ot I can sometimes save it.......
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

7. chrisstory

New...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Dvasqz6

Dvasqz6 LawnSite Member

I had the same problem, it wouldn't act up for the mechanic. I finally found a more experienced mechanic who had seen it before. He told me to get a spark plug tester ($7.00) and plug it into the spark plug wire to check the strength of the 'fire'. Start the engine and engage the blades, then observe the brightness of the light. Keep watching to see if the glow lessens as the engine warms up, if it does you've found your bad coil, if not then check the other plug. As it turned out the first plug was fine and the second was completely dead. Once you find the problem it is simple to replace the coil.

9. chrisstory

Ill check that tomorrow
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. chrisstory

Ok so I checkd the plugs both cold and warm by un plugging the plug one at a time. The engine never died. So I assume the coils must be good??

Also the mower seems to bog down A LOT now...even in short grass..please help
    Posted via Mobile Device