Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about a hair close to buying an exmark but I have one more debate in my mind...I have a JD dealer 1 mile from my home...the exmark dealer is close to 25-30 minutes...the JD is $2550 the exmark is $2500 with pistol/ 2600 with ecs...any thoughts? both are very reputable dealers....

· Registered
303 Posts
I have a Deere GS30. While I like the machine I would probably go with the Exmark. I have never used or worked on an Exmark but I have a Scag. I think Exmark and Scag are pretty similar and I like the Scag more.

Here's why- you can buy a much wider selection of parts, both OEM and aftermarket for the Scag and I assume for the Exmark. You can't for the Deere. 2 blades for the Deere cost me about 25 bucks and I didn't have the option of high-lift, gator, medium lift, etc... Deere blades are "keyed" which means they have a special hole pattern to fit on the spindles.

You can only buy parts at a Deere dealer. You may be able to get simple things at other stores but nothing too extensive. My Deere dealer tried to get me to buy "their" engine (Kohler 13) because it was the only one that fit. Well, I took a chance on a Kohler 15 from my dealer because it was $250 CHEAPER and it fit perfectly. So I feel the Deere people were trying to hose me.

Make a long story short- I have spent the SAME amount of money to refurbish my Deere as it took to COMPLETELY rebuild (including paint, bushings, spindles, wheels, blades, everything) my Scag.
The main thing is the cost of parts in my opinion!

The Deere cuts better but I'd pick the Scag.

· Registered
275 Posts
I have a GS 30 and I love it. 4 years of mowing and all that has broken was a tranny which was covered under the 3 year warranty, dont know if they still have it. It gives me a great cut. I also like the extra strip of metal on the left side of the deck. I takes the abuse from trying to get too close before the damage reaches the deck itself. The dealer either has what I need in stock or it is here the next day. You can buy a mulch kit from the dealer and they also stock mulch blades. The mulch blades are also available from Jackssmallengines.com. I can not say anything about the Exmark as I have never used one. Try them both and buy what you like. Keep in mind dealer support. I would rather have an average mower with excellent support than the best with little to none.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i'm down to two mowers- both the 36inch deck
the JDGS30- 13 HP Kohler 2300- $2500
Metro exmark 36inch deck with 13HP Kawa $2500 pistol/ $2600 ECS
both dealers are reputable- Jd is 1 mile from home exmark- 20

I don't think I'm going to jump up to the 48 inch....my lawns could take it but storage becomes a little tight
I think if I could get a better price on the exmark it will be in my driveway by the weekend but all the dealers i have spoken with they all are around the same price.....I appreciate all the feedback- this website is truly a great resource....any more info or thoughts welcome or is there any other factors i should be thinking about? if bastalker is online- i'd like to find out where he bought his 46 inch exmark for 2300 in CT!

· Registered
50 Posts
I just bought my first real mower (bigger than a 22") 2 months ago and went with the Exmark Metro with ECS. I studied all mowers out there for two months while speaking with a lot of lawn care companies....well unfortunetly Exmark is not well known with Ohio LC companies so I did not get much help there, but I will tell you if you cut beside any other brand compared with an Exmark you will see the quality cut differance for sure! I just added the mulch kit to mine and could not be happier with the Exmark performance with the mulch kit or even with the chute (just did'nt like cleaning up the mess).

ECS is easy to use and also look to get some savings coming up with model year changes. I picked up a 15HP Kohler with ECS for $2295 because it was a new 2002 model. I would deffinately spend the dough on the exmark!

· Registered
4,956 Posts
Having used a GS30 and a few eXmark's, I have to say the GS30 should go back to the scrap heap they pulled it from! Doesn't cut very well, and not very user friendly, not to mention the parts cost and availability, er, lack thereof. And the non-interchangeable parts. Worth the drive for the eXmark. Tell the eXmark dealer that for $2500 you will buy the Metro with ECS. Any decent dealer will probably do that and they still will make a nice profit. You'll thank me one day ;)
Oh, yes I'm sure the GS30 has timed blades and I'm sure also that Metro does not have timed ones, they are overlapped which IMO gives a smoother cut in many conditions. Oh, the eXmark handles clippings much better (chops them up better).

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTbej- what size deck did you get?...thanks for the info...it's great to hear from someone who has just been through the "research" part of the buying deal...i'm leaning toward exmark but am tring to get a better price...i like that the JD dealer is so close to home though...and i think that makes me feel comfortable...knowing i could run out for a part or something....however JD has been behind the pack as far as wb's go...so even if i get a little better price on the JD...am i still paying too much for what i am getting?

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
franken- you might have just put me over the top...i think i'm going to try to get the ecs for $2500...dealer was asking $2600 ( $2500 for pistol)....i would feel okay with that even though i set out to buy something around 2k...this is the 36" that we are talking about ...correct?...the 48 was asking $2800 with ecs

· Registered
4,956 Posts
Yes I meant for the 36". All currently produced 48" w/b's have 3 overlapping blades. Overlapped blades also are safer if you hit something because one can slip in the belt (instead of being forced to turn by cogged timing belts), thus protecting the belt & rest of machine from undue stress. IMO, even if the eXmark guy won't take off $100 it's still way worth it compared to the JD. ECS kit alone cost $280, I think, to convert a pistol grip mower.

· Registered
1,282 Posts
Lawns that JD cut look like Florida's Turnpike median and sideways! From little WB to big tractor cutting freeways, they all look the same s..t Nothing compares to eXmark's cut, period.

· Registered
1,217 Posts
I have a jd gs30 and I disagree with the people that said it leaves a poor cut. Maybe not as good as exmark (never used a 36" exmark) but it definetely leaves a nice cut.

I am not trying to turn you away from exmark because it might be a better machine, but the deere is not as bad as some of the members are making it out to be.

I strongly suggest you demo both and then decide.

I don't know if the exmark you are looking at has these features or not, but the deere has an electric pto and reverse.

Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
Having used a GS30 and a few eXmark's, I have to say the GS30 should go back to the scrap heap they pulled it from! Doesn't cut very well, and not very user friendly, not to mention the parts cost and availability, er, lack thereof
What's not user friendly about it? Parts...My dealer (or dealers) has most parts in stock, and if they don't, they usually get here the next day. Are you talking about a gs30, or that POS crank deck you had?

Plant Mower Motor vehicle Outdoor power equipment Grass

· Registered
953 Posts
i use to work for a jd dealer.i feel there commercial mowers are junk.there not the best out there but they work.my jd dealer is 2 blocks from my house.my exmark dealer is 25 to 30 mins away.i like taking the drive to my exmark dealer.but the gs30 isn't a bad mower it just needs some more options

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.