1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere,Hustler,Gravely?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southernlandscapespecial, Mar 19, 2006.

1. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

I am looking into buying a new mower..If you have read any of my past posts then you know that I am a John deere man, but this is my chance for a change or is it? I am currently on my second John deere (717and 727) If I go with another JD it will be the 757 25hp 60" deck. I am also interested in Hustler and Gravely but know very little about these two. I want a 25hp with 60" deck. I would like to hear all pros and cons and prices. Thanks

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you even just like the 717 and 727....you'll LOVE the 757..

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the 757. Overall a great mower. I like the 7iron deck. I own a Hustler Super Z. I like the speed and it holds to slopes better than any mower I have used. They are a great company to deal with. I have owned a few Deeres. I like them as well, and dealer support was always good, but I'm partial to the Super Z.

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

the 757 is a fine mower; my second choice behind a SuperZ 28EFI 60".

The 757 would benefit immensely from the power of a 28EFI; at times a 25hp Kaw is just underpowered.

Like imograss said, the SuperZ will hold hillsides better than the 757. Ride is about equal between the two, but a slight edge to the SuperZ with the adjustable suspension seat. The Deere is smoother handling than anything else - except the Hustler SuperZ !

The 7 Iron gets the edge over the SuperZ deck cause the 7 just never needs cleaning when discharging. Mulching, dang little difference.

PS:
    The hydraulics system on the Hustler Superz is far superior to that on the John Deere. I'm not a fan of the unified pump at all.

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

AND if you will LOVE the 757, you will definetly have Wet Dreams over the 997 LOL:laugh:

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Tider6972, 25 HP on a 60" deck will be underpowered in many situations. I would opt for 27HP or higher. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices. I own a Gravely 260Z and I have never used JD or Hustler so I can't comment on them. My only gripe about my Gravely is the slightly poor cut quality in tall, thick grass. I've read great things about the 7-Iron decks and the new XR-7 deck. I would suggest demo-ing all 3 and see what you like and what fits your needs best.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's right Mate! :drinkup:

8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

ha ha ha, thought you'd like that lol!:drinkup: :cool2:

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I think we should all be considering Hustler this time around.
    That new XR-7 deck is available now and if it is any good the Super Z will be hard to beat.

10. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

Don't forget that JD has the NEW 7 iron deck II !!!!!!

It was a good deck to begin with, but now is supposed to be even better.
    I just ordered a 757 last week. It should be in at the end of this week. Come on up and I will let you try it out!