1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Hydraulic Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for a little help finding out if this is the right hydraulic oil that should go in my John Deere QuikTraks. According to the manual "JD Plus 50 0W-40 Synthetic Blend" oil is recommended. However there is no part number to go by to make sure it's an exact match. My JD dealer is as far from a JD dealer as one can be and still sell JD commercial equipment (mainly Exmark). Anyway the place was somewhat stumped when I asked for this oil. They gave me this and thought it was the recommended oil. Is this the correct oil (see pic) part #TY24349 ? Doesn't mention anywhere on the bottle about going in hydraulic systems and is labeled "Supreme Motor Oil" I know it's based more on the viscosity so it may be the right one. I just wanted to double check.

Hydraulic oil 002.jpg

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought my Z-trak (717A) the early part of 2006 season. Last Winter was the first off-season task of annual maintenance tasks. I started compiling a list of things to do, what materials needed, and so on, and discovered the manual was inconsistent. I think that is what you are finding. The specifications are inconsistent with the branding (e.g. Plus-50). I think the manual called for 10W-40, and that is not the JD product as labeled.

After much consultation with others, I opted to use Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic as hydro fluid. It worked fine for the 2007 season, and have just replaced a few days ago for the annual maintenance.

See this thread where I discussed my annual maintenance tasks.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=211981