Lawn Care Forum banner

John Deere JX75

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  mottster 
#1 ·
This is my first post. Is anyone using a John Deere JX75? I've had it since March 2003. I use it on resedenital accounts, mostly smaller lawns with either hybrid bermuda grass or common bermuda grass. It has been doing a great job and would like to know if there are any potential problems in the forecast. I am also considering a Stihl FS-85 trimmer, any comments? Thank you in advance for any advise

#4 ·
We use JD push mowers and are pleased with the cut and service of the mowers. I'm not sure if the JX75 is the ones that we use. The ones that we use are commerical push mowers with the steel rim wheels and a few other items. Only thing you need to keep in stock is the drive cable that runs to the transmission.
The cut is the best I've seen for a 21" push mower.

#5 ·
We have one JX 75. It holding up great. I was hoping to get another JX 85 but they are not available anymore. I'm putting the oil filter kit one mine soon, and as soon as I have problems with the plastic wheels I'll get the steel ones. I agree with longslawn, keep a drive cable and lever on hand, they seem to break often. Its an inexpensive part, but seems to break easy. I've got 4 JD jx 85s and ive probably replaced 6 cables this year:rolleyes: Thats my only complaint with the machine.

#7 ·
i suppose the dealers carry those or are they aftermarket? The aluminum on the deck of my mower is rounding off so the rear right one won't stay at 2.5" cutting height in rough conditions.

i'm also going to be replacing the wheels with true rubber tires. the plastic just seem to not give enough lateral support for mowing steep hills. and when i go around trees the rear end swings out. i know i can keep it from doing that but i lose valuable time.

what are the costs for the rear adjusters and the external oil filter kits?

I love my jx75 have had it for a couple years now. only had to do one minor tune up and as said before...the drive cable to the transmission wears out or stretches. so it'll click and not really for forwards...specially in 5th gear.

I have problems with dirt getting past the filter and clogging the carb up causing the mower to run then kinda sputter with a little black smoke then run good again...only with blades on those.

wish they made the bags bigger. say about as big as snapper commercial baggers. but those mowers weigh like 150 lbs...our light aluminum decks couldn't bare the weight and would flip back, hehe.

Oh yeah...i'm wanting to find a good high-lift blade. I'm still using the tricycler blades...like em and all but i'm starting to bag more and more acounts and i think they would really help in this grass or for fall clean ups. anyone know of any?

Going for my second one next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.