1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Jx85

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cleancutdude, Aug 9, 2001.

1. cleancutdude

cleancutdude LawnSite Member

HI I'M LOOKING TO BUY GOOD 21" BAGING MOWER
    HAS ANYONE ANY COMENTENTS ON THE JD JX85 HONDA HYDROSTATIC PRO.

2. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had the John Deere JX85 for two years and I am very pleased with it. The Kawaski 6 hp motor is marvelous. It is very powerful yet quiet and consumes precious little fuel. The machine leaves probably the nicest cut I have seen from 21" machines (compared to Toro and Lawn Boy which I have used) and is quite quick. It also mulches quite well but will leave annoying little clumps if the grass is real wet and thick. Finally, I really enjoy the BBC and I also attached a dethatcher to it which works very well in the spring. The only drawback I have with the machine is its bag. It's too small and gets filled up quickly. Toro's bag is much larger. In summary, it has been a great machine. You can't go wrong with it nor will you go wrong with the Honda. Both are super. It's a matter of personal choice. I think the Honda is more expensive and a little slower.

3. cleancutdude

cleancutdude LawnSite Member

MANY THANKS JOED I THINK YOU'VE MADE MY MIND UP :D

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Welcome to Lawnsite Cleancutdude. :)

You mean you can get these mowers over there in Ireland? ;)

I have the 14 SE JD which is the model before the JX85. I have had it for around 6 years and the Kaw motor has been great. The only problem was the starter went out within a year while under warranty and again after the warranty ran out. I went to pick up a starter to put on it and it was $190, cash and carry, so I just pull start it since it starts on the first pull everytime. :)

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I too have the JX85 with the kw engine. An excellent motor. I have had it 3 years and pulls the first time everytime. I think it was in a recent consumer reports rated #1. Actually I think it was the JX75, but no difference.

6. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

We have a jx75. Good mower, starts frist pull every time. My dealer only carries the jx 75. He told me the only differance is it has plastic tires , no oil filter ,and a little cheaper. For bout 35 bucks he put the filter on ours.

7. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

one other difference, reinforced height adjustment :)

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Had JX85 for 5 years.

Motor is spledid.

Complaints: Weak handle and fragile controls.

All in all good machine.

Ken