John Deere LTR 180 42" Freedom Deck?

bjr

LawnSite Member
This deck has a timing belt $102 from John Deere. What is the purpose of needing blade timed? Would any guess as to how this helps cut grass? I've not found much Belt replacement information videos and I'm tryin' to get a handle on proper installation. Does anyone know the history (when and why John Deere developed the "Freedom Deck"). It's not even my mower and the fellow I'm trying to help really needs my help as he has sight issues and yes, I know "why" is a sight impaired individual operating a lawn mower? It's "His Dream" to do yard maintenance around the neighborhood. We all just grit out teeth and go out and replace all the riser pipes and pop up sprinklers that he nails and tell him what a "great job" he did. This "Freedom Deck" seems to have a flash in the pan with John Deere and then they came to their senses and went back with conventional blade designs. bjr

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Usually a timed(fogged) belt is used because of interference of the blades if they are aligned to one another. When a new belt is installed there is a specific procedure to insure that the blades are perpendicular to each other. You need to review the manual on the correct way to proceed. Hope this helps, good luck.

OP
B

bjr

LawnSite Member
this deck has rear discharge to bags and now I'm reading that it may not be a "freedom deck? How many decks went on a LTR180? The only thing I know is it takes the synchronous belt. Can this deck be converted to a mulching system? does it require different blades for mulching? bjr

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Sorry that do not have an answer for you. Usually a mulch kit consists of under deck baffles, a block off plate at the discharge opening and mulching blades. I had an Exmark WB and it’s a couple hundred dollars.Either search John Deere’s webpage or call a local dealer.