Lawn Care Forum banner

What do you run John Deere or CAT controls on your excavators/backhoes?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious....I've been catching alot of slack lately for running JD controls. It's what I know and most people I know run them. That is until I moved to this new company. I am the only guy who runs JD here and everyone thinks I am crazy and that I do it bass ackwards. I'd love an answer from everyone who reads this. I'm just interested to see what type of results we get from such a large group of people from across the whole country and well then there's Squizzy in Australia too.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
We've talked about this Mark -- JD here. IMO, The JD controls are so logical by having the dipper and bucket on same control. I know it's all in how you learn, but I don't know how guys get comfy with CAT controls. The JD set-up seems most efficient to me, but I guess I really don't know for sure.

Now, skidsteer controls (l/h steering, r/h bucket) the CAT controls ROCK!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I am a self admitted Cat freek. However, for the life of me, I can't understand why Cat egnineers feel why their way has more breakout power than JD style. That's the reason they are opposite. I've run both. When I'm not near anything, I'll run Cat. When I am close to something, Ill take down a building if I run Cat style.

And I've tried the break out thing by swtiching the flip flop valve under the cab. I personally saw no difference.

Run what you are comfortable with unless of course someone wants to take responsiblity for whatever your destroy or overdig running something you are not familiar with.

·
Registered
837 Posts
John who???...

I have no idea...I just drive the bloody thing:D What pattern am I running?

If I close my eyes and think about it..

Left stick...slew and dipper

Right stick...main boom and bucket

left foot...warp drive

right foot....angle boom or breaker

around behind the left side of the seat...volume control

Holder in front of right stick against the window....Coffeeeee:D

Middle stick....oops sorry...wrong forum:blush:

Yeah the boys like to play tricks on me and flick the pattern changer lever when I'm not looking..causes all sorts of mayhem:realmad:

With the controls that way I can jump straight from the 246B into the excavator, and vice versa, without missing a beat.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you're a CAT man Squizzy. John Deere has the dipper and bucket on the right joy stick
I try CAT from time to time like you say when I absolutely cannot damage anything but it's like drinking a half gallon of whiskey and trying to use that middle joystick squizzy was talking about. The boom is up and down and then up and then it' starts pounding into the ground with all it's might and then it stops etc etc. It's really an embarrassing and painful experience for me and whatever it is I'm trying to dig into. Now running John Deere for me is nothing but SWEET LOVE!!! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,543 Posts
I'am a Cat control man too I have tried running John Deere controls I got on Bobcat rental machine and pulled on the sticks and it was crap backwards controls. I spent a hour to get the control switch to go to Cat controls then I could run the machine.

I know a few people that like John Deere (backhoe pattern) controls most excavators come with Cat controls I think its the law now for new machines to have a control switcher.

·
Registered
837 Posts
MarcusLndscp said:
I try CAT from time to time like you say when I absolutely cannot damage anything but it's like drinking a half gallon of whiskey and trying to use that middle joystick squizzy was talking about. The boom is up and down and then up and then it' starts pounding into the ground with all it's might and then it stops etc etc. It's really an embarrassing and painful experience for me and whatever it is I'm trying to dig into. Now running John Deere for me is nothing but SWEET LOVE!!! :rolleyes:
Marcus, you are talking about an excavator aren't you???:rolleyes:

I read a thread somewhere about ISO pattern...is that Cat or JD?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I an a cat man. I like all my controls to be the same. I have my 2 excavators and backhoe set up the same. Since cat controls is the industry standard, i teach all my guys that way and keep all the controls the same, so when you go from one machine to the other every thing is the same. I feel its a lot easier on every one.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I run Cat and ONLY Cat. I don't understand Deere, doesn't make sense. When you run backhoes, loaders, etc, your right hand controls the boom and with excavators that seems the like the best way. I can't imagine running a Cat skid steer with the the controls backwards, running the boom and bucket with your left hand and the travel controls with your right, now that would be way strange. I had to rent a Deere 310G to move about 80 yards of dirt and ended up having to use the backhoe. Needless to say I almost wiped out the side of a house, oops!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.