Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
JD is the way to go. They have a good track record. deeres are easy to find parts for as opposed to dixies. anyways just my 2 cents

·
Banned
4,461 Posts
Hunt.....everybody on here is going to have thier own opinions on mowers. Everyone is going to say "Oh i love my mower". You will hear that a lot. If i were you i would go demo each mower and then you can decide which is the better mower.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hunt.....everybody on here is going to have thier own opinions on mowers. Everyone is going to say "Oh i love my mower". You will hear that a lot. If i were you i would go demo each mower and then you can decide which is the better mower.
Quite True. When it comes down to it, you really need to try them all out and decide for yourself which mower suits your personal needs and tastes so that you are satisfied in the end. Even if JD are the best!

·
Banned
4,461 Posts
Quite True. When it comes down to it, you really need to try them all out and decide for yourself which mower suits your personal needs and tastes so that you are satisfied in the end. Even if JD are the best!
thankyou. I know hunt your new to this site but asking other guys opinions on mowers isnt all that great. Everybody is going to say "Oh i love my mower, i've never had any problems with it!" Then your gonna have other LCO saying that "That mower sucks...what i have is better." Do you see what i mean. Call your Dixie and JD dealers and set up a demo with the mowers that you are interested in. Then you can go from there! Hope this help.:) Oh yeah....i do own JD commercial mowers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ive haerd nothing but good stuff about both of theese mower brands. get the one with a good dealer nearby
i agree get the one with a good dealer nearby. it helps if you know the dealers personally and they know you. i have found that if you both know each other you can save quite a bit of $. anyways just my two cents

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
If you're talkin' commercial zero-turn mowers, here's a list that have been recommended to me:

John Deere, Exmark, Scag, Walker, Ferris, Dixie Chopper, Wright, Grasshopper. I think they're all good.

I run a JD 727-A 54" cut on my lawn (2 acres) plus our office lawn (1 acre). Our mowing crews run mostly Exmark 60". (some as old as 1998) I've talked to a lot of mowing outfits around here to get their opinions -- last one was 2 days ago. He prefers Scag Tigers -- says they hold hills better and are heavy duty. But I'm happy with my Deere...never lets me down, and it cuts thru tall/wet grass as good as any.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well I own both, so, I guess, I could comment. We run an '04 JD 7H17 wb and love it. The 7iron deck is great - has a lot of lift and makes an excellent cut. We have not had any major problems w/ it yet.
We also run a '97 Dixie Chopper ztr. The cut was not as good as the JD, but we've made some modifications w/ the blades, and it is doing better, though not as good as the JD. JD superior to Dixie Chopper, I think, in cut quality. I think the Dixies are very rugged and durable. We've not had any major problems w/ the Dixie either. I don't think our Dixie's productivity is not as good as some other brand mowers. Of course, that is a '97.
All things considered, I would choose JD.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Then it is still possible to get a lemon in any brand and hate it! That is all you really need to do with anything in life is satisify yourself, your wife and the federal government.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Then it is still possible to get a lemon in any brand and hate it! That is all you really need to do with anything in life is satisify yourself, your wife and the federal government.
I'm a Stihl fan as well. Of course there are other brands that are very good machines, but i will most likely always use Stihl... since they are the best!

Anyways; I have one of their bent shaft edgers that I think is a piece of horse poo! It is definitely what you would call a lemon.:cry: I'm just glad that i didn't get it as the first piece of Stihl equipment or I may have had a different opinion of Stihl. I guess what I am getting at is that it might be a good idea to try a second time if you have a bad experience with one piece of equipment. Unless, of course, it is obvious that it is truly poor quality design/ materials. This is why I am not completely against eXmark mowers, even though i think at this point, that they are crap! I still need to have a second try at it before I form a lasting impression.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.