John Deere question 994 Diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Willjohnfrank, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Willjohnfrank

Willjohnfrank LawnSite Member

Hey guys I am buying 2 new mowers this year. I have a good deal with my local deere dealer. I want to get the new 994 diesel it is in my price range but I am worried about the small horsepower rating on it. I know it is all about the torque but I am hoping in the few months it has been out that someone on here has tried it, or someone has had a small horsepower rating diesel. My selling point on it is longevity and the supposed lower emissions on it. Slightly lighter than the 997 and a lot lower on the price. I would want a mulch on demand 60. What do you guys think. The other I want is a 960m 31 hp 60 inch. I currently have one and its great.

2. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

Haven’t tried it yet but I’d bet that engine runs a 60 inch deck fine.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  3. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’d buy a Kubota instead but I doubt power will be a problem. My Grasshopper has more power because the current emissions regulations for 25 hp and larger engines didn’t exist then but it has plenty of power for a 72” deck.

4. greenlawn33a

greenlawn33a LawnSite Senior Member

Demoed the 994 for two days. Has plenty of power for mowing. If you have a lot of hills it may struggle a bit on the hills.