1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

john deere sst 16 won't steer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by c2husker, May 12, 2007.

1. c2husker

c2husker LawnSite Member

Tractor will steer in reverse but won't steer going forward? Any ideas???Thanks C2husker :dizzy: ooh almost forgot it is a spin steer

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

See if you can get a hold of a member named Envy.

3. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Fix what you have to and sell the d@mn thing. They are nothing but headaches. My father has been a JD consumer products mechanic for 25+ years, and he says they are one of the biggest jokes JD has ever produced!

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never worked on one. But if you have a pretty level piece of ground and you want a zero turn mower with a steering wheel - look at a Swisher mower. They are not commercial but do last a long time.
    http://www.swisherinc.com

5. khouse

Ok, the 3 wheel Swisher is no longer manufactured. Sorry

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

This is the best advice you have been given, these things were a horrible nightmare! As sorry as my dealers are here they only sold a very few and qucikly quit selling them.

7. c2husker

c2husker LawnSite Member

Was wondering if anyone has had the same problem!? Please help.....:)

8. khouse

I wish I could help you but I've never worked on one. What is the steering wheel connected to. Can you see anything off or wrong with it? Why don't you call a JD dealership and talk to the service manager and maybe he'll shed some light on your issue.

9. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

It could be one of the steering actuators that are under the seat deck. I've got one on these mowers, and have really enjoyed using it. I got a BobCat that I usually use, but the JD is great for small lawns. You have to take the metal plate that the seat is bolted to off to see the actuators. I put a link to the JD SpinSteer site that has a theory of operation explanation.

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/John_Deere_SST_Club/photos/browse/f668