1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Tranny on 54 in. walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fivestar, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Fivestar

Fivestar LawnSite Member

:help: Does anyone out there in Lawnsite country know where a guy could buy a transmission rebuild kit for a John Deere 54 Inch walk behind. This mower is a yellow v deck commercial mower. It`s only pulling on the right side and my dealer told me that the clutches on the right are most likely shot. They quoted me 400.00
    for the parts. That`s not to high but if i can find them cheaper that would be good!! Might even consider a good used tranny.

2. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Is it a dana belt drive unit ??????

I thought those were not rebuildable unless you split the case and other pita stuff. I think a new unit should be about 400 tops.

3. Fivestar

Fivestar LawnSite Member

It`s not a belt drive like a Exmark Metro. It`s a gear box run off a belt coming from the pulley at the engine if that`s any help.

4. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Thats the Dana spicer I beleive. Try going right to them.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I had two of those sorry things...

Have you fully tried adjusting...when mine would pull/slip the adjustments would fix it.

The real problem on one of mine...it kept hopping out of gear, a shift fork broke inside of it.

The transmission is a "Tuff Torque"

It has friction clutches like an automatic transmission. You may be able to squeeze a little more life out of the clutches with a friction-modifier. The best I have seen is OEM Ford limited-slip differential additive.

The trans is expensive...close to $2000 if it is even still available from John Deere.

KB