1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dvmcmrhp52, Aug 5, 2003.

1. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Ok,
    We are having a discussion on Echo trimmers in another thread, and I am currently thinking about Deere trimmers.Who's got them and how do you like them?Quality issues etc.
    (Looking at Deere because of Echo experiences myself)

2. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JD that they gave me when I purchased my 48" walk behind (some promotion they were running to promote their 2 cycle stuff) and I also had a new 2601 Echo at the time. I liked the JD ok but the Echo was my favorite. I just bought a new 260 Echo earlier in the year to replace the 2601 and the JD is a better machine than it in my opinion. Echo sure messed up when they changed to the 260 if you ask me. Over all the JD is all right, just a matter of preference I guess. Main part I do not like is the head, its harder to spool than the Echo and also the oversized guard.

3. NJDeere

NJDeere LawnSite Member

New heads for the Deere trimmers are out. They are easier to load. Also, the newer Deere trimmers have a smaller guard.

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run JD trimmers and they are awesome. Run forever - string advance never seems to bind up with dirt - plenty of power - start easy

Thanks, Brad

5. dwc

didn't know about the new improvements on the deere. Have to check them out again. I am thinking maybe a deere since they have improved or a Redmax for next year.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Who is JD trimmers even made by now? Are they Kawi's, now? I know they used to be Echo some years ago.

7. dwc

last I heard they bought out Homelite and made their changes to the plant and started producing their own. Might have changed now I dont know, someone else may know more about this.

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Thanks for the replies.
    just happened to be talking to the dealer today as we picked up a 36" walk behind and I asked him about the deere's.He told me he does not have enough of them out there yet to get enough feedback.(he is also big on Echo products)That's why I started this thread.Keep them coming and Thanks again.

9. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Last ones I saw at Homedepot were exactly the same as Homelite.

10. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

They have a pro line that I was looking at.Don't think the depot carries them.