• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

John Deere VS. Exmark

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
Todd: The 455 is a tractor type JD that replaced the 430 JD. I have a 430 and my 60&quot; Dixie Choppers will mow twice as much as the JD 430. Anything with a steering wheel is obsolete. If you want a Yanmar diesel on a ZTR, Dixie Chopper makes them. I have the 60&quot; deck, 26 HP Yanmar diesel and it is a great machine. I also have a 22 HP Kohler on a 60&quot; Chopper and it's about to hit 3,000 hours with next to zero problems. The diesel uses about 1/2 the fuel, about 3 quarts of fuel an hour. Get a demo on them too. Some guys think they are ugly, but who is having a pretty mower contest. I would rather the lawns look nice. If you want to see the results, look at my website by clicking on my signiture.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

Grasscape Inc

LawnSite Member
They are the SAME! We have both<br>Same wheel motors, same engines, same hydraulic pumps. The JD 7Iron deck is thicker and deeper, but the exmark cuts just as well on dry grass. THe JD is a little better on taller, or wet grass.<br>THe Kohler on the JD is tweaked alittle, as are the hydraulic, which seems to make them a little smoother. THe JD has aluminum 8 INCH spindles HUGE. The exmark has iron.<p>They both MOW at 9 mph. Get whichever one you like more, and feels more comnfotable to sit on. They are both great machines. WE personally buy more of the JD's because we don't like the exmark dealer here in town.<br>Have any questions about either one, email me and I'll answer them to my best ability. <p>-todd<br>Grasscape@yahoo.com <p>----------<br>-Grasscape<br>Http://sites.netscape.net/grasscapeinc/homepage

Grasscape Inc

LawnSite Member
To answer your original question, the Lazer will outcut THAT PARTICULAR JD MOWER YOU MENTIONED by far, but not the 7Iron deck mowers.<p>----------<br>-Grasscape<br>Http://sites.netscape.net/grasscapeinc/homepage<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Grasscape Inc

WALKERMOW

LawnSite Member
i also think exmark is a better machinr than jd i have an exmark turf tracer and love it i also bought a grasshopper last spring it will cut 6' at 10 mph and cleans up high grass excellent, discharges 2 cut widths it runs a 28 hp kubota diesel have had no problems with this machine it kept me from having to hire another man (payrol taxes)are a killer if you know what i mean..

farmall

LawnSite Member
To straighten things out, JD mid mounts are actually Kees mowers painted green with the JD 7iron deck. Husqvarna bought out yazoo/kees in spring of 2000. The Yazoo/Kees and exmark are very similar, infact they came from the same design. However, Exmark does not run an oil cooler like the kees units do. Exmark does not need them since they use Mobil 1 which will withstand high temperatures. In side by side comparison, the exmark 60&quot; and the JD 60&quot; are very comaprable as far as quality of cut. However, the blades turn slower on the JD which will give it less momentum in thick patches.