1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Vs. Gravely 260

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by hertelbr, Mar 26, 2013.

1. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

Trying to decide between JD mulch on demand and Gravely 260. Same 25 Kaw engine. Thoughts?

2. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

3. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

John Deere mulch on demand. The 7 iron deck makes a beautiful cut also.

4. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I forgot to add, whatever feels best to you and is comfortable and fits your price range is a good place to start.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I run a Z950 MOD, but I really like Gravely's too. Buy whichever feels good to you, and gives the type of cut you are looking for on your properties. Most of all though, dealer support is a huge factor when you cut for a living.

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

I just bought a 2013 JD MOD, 925M and it is all I hoped it would be. The MOD feature was the big factor in my decision. It resulted in me being able to go to one mower vs 2 on the trailer. Not saying the Gravely is not a good mower but I am very pleased with my JD. It has the EFI engine and the hydraulics are very smooth.

7. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

I currently run Bobcat. I Have 15 or so. I have two dealers both have great reputations and similar pricing. I dont personally run the equipment anymore. Is the JD mulch on demand kit that much better than the flip down kit available on the gravely? I think the John Deere is the 730 without the cross porting. I am looking for longevity and dependability.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

If your talking about a chute blocker the I think the MOD is much better. The MOD acts like a true mulch kit that separates each blade chamber vs the chute blocker which simply stops everything on the right side of the deck.

9. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

My Gravely rep. Said it was like cutting up watermelon......keep the red and throw the green away. Lol. They will say anything to sell a mower!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

My Gravely rep. Said it was like cutting up watermelon......keep the red and throw the green away. Lol. They will say anything to sell a mower! @Arturf, this is what I am wondering. My guys have fabricated their own chuteblockers. They are effective but tend to leave a strip of clippings near the chute. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Anybody with experience with both brands?
    Posted via Mobile Device