1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

john deere walkbehind wont start 12.5 hp engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by greenman1676, Apr 7, 2008.

1. greenman1676

greenman1676 LawnSite Member

i have a john Deere walk behind 12.5 hp Kawasaki high torque engine. i cannot get any spark. new plug, ignition coil was replaced last spring,new igniter.im am stumped on yhe whole thing.i lightly sanded the ignition coil [little rust].what happend was i replace the drive belt.started the mower, engaged the pto. it stuggled with the pto i went to turn the gas up and it died [no spark ever since]. any information would be great guys. :) thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have a bad pto or operator's presence switch, If you disconnect the harness kill wire (most are black) from the igniter and it now has spark this will show a switch problem.

3. greenman1676

i think the pto is fine. are you talking about the 2 wires going in to the igniter.i have 2 white wires going in to the igniter. they both go to one connecter into the igniter.

4. Restrorob

Instead of guessing post the Deere model/serial number so I can look up the wire diagram. There has got to be a kill wire going from the igniter to the key switch.

5. greenman1676

john deere commercial walk behind mower fc400v-as05 john deere Kawasaki 12.5 hp high torque engine.gx1450x050073 e/no fc400v009175

6. Restrorob

OK, Here's the wire to disconnect;

[​IMG]

7. Goody

Goody LawnSite Member

Greenman1676,
    Hi,
    I have the same problem with my Kawasaki, did you finally get spark? I have done everything I can think of and still no spark. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
    Thanks
    Goody

8. StevieZ

StevieZ LawnSite Member

Deere had a service bulletin on some of the wiring harnesses. The wies were too small for the current. I had one go bad and fried some other wires. I bought the repair kit and the problem was solved.