1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Z445 or Z920

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by psdnate, Feb 3, 2010.

1. psdnate

psdnate LawnSite Member

So I've decided on getting a john deere. I was looking at the Z445 which is a residential. It's price is $5099 with 0% financing for 12 months. But then I stated looking at the commercial ones. The Z920 is $8475 with 0% financing for 42 months. Both will be the 54" deck. I was gonna go with the Z445 but I started thinking and with 0% interest for 42 months that sounds like a good deal. What do you guys think? What's your opinion on these ztr's?

2. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

Well put it this way the Z445 might last you 2 years and the Z920 might last you 8.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would not go with the z445, that won't last you nearly what you will want. The 920 would be a much better choice. Now, there is the 520 option, it's deere's estate series mower. So its somewhere inbetween the 445 and 920. But it will also be about $1200 cheaper than the 920. So that is alway an option. If I were you, I'd be deciding between the 520 and 920. But either way the 920 will be best.

4. psdnate

psdnate LawnSite Member

Yeah I think I'm leaning more towards the 920. I didn't want to spend that much but if it will last a lot longer it will be better in the long run. Thanks for the replies guys!

5. wildncrazyguy

wildncrazyguy LawnSite Member

Is that a special deal or are they that much cheaper in PA? It might be worth the travel if so. The Z920 is like 10K+ here. Also 42 months 0% is awesome. I'm only finding 0% for 24 months here in NC. :{

6. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

one thing to keep in mind; the 920 rolls around with 1300lbs of lawn-crushing heft, while the 445 (with HC deck of course) rolls around with only a little less than 800 lbs.

7. psdnate

psdnate LawnSite Member

I ended up getting the 920 a few weeks ago.

8. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

That's awesome. Have fun with it. I want one myself

9. psdnate

psdnate LawnSite Member

I've mowed my yard a couple times with it just for fun. Still getting use to it but I like it

10. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend that you check out the March Turf Magazine. They featured the John Deere ZTrak on the cover. Here is a link to a thread on it.