john deere z720A VS. Exmark Lazer z s series VS. Gravely Pro-turn 260

IloveMONEY

LawnSite Member
I went to check out these 3 mowers today. The best customer service by far was with the exmark and I use the almost exact machine at my work so I really like it. It's actually a demo unit with 70 hours on it, and with the mulching kit and the suspension seat I was quoted at $9400.

The john deere is nice as well, and while I would like a 900 series, the 700 series is in my price range at $8800 I believe it was.

The gravely, I had no service at all, but it was marked down to $8900.

The unit will be used for a couple of units at first, until things pick up. I will need good suspension as my dad will be using it, and he has a horrible back. We've had a gravely ztr for 12 years or so, and it is as stiff as a board.

If anyone can offer me some input on these 3 and what one you would choose that would be great! I am leaning towards the exmark, then the john deere though.

OP
I

IloveMONEY

LawnSite Member
oh i should also mention, that I want the 60'' inch deck. Also, the exmark unit I was looking at has the kohler command engine. 27hp

epm

LawnSite Member
Go with whoever has given you the best service. The three mowers you listed will all provide you with the same outcome, the grass will be cut. I personally run Gravely but its not because i think they're the best mower on the market. I get hands down the best service around from my Gravely dealer. Also ask them what they can do for you if your machine goes down. i.e. will they give you a loaner? Move you to the front of the line for service etc.
Another thing to keep in mind about the service is, think about how many guys the shop has come in a day kicking tires and pricing mowers because they are starting a mowing company? ITS A LOT! at least in my area. If you were still given top notch customer service, that's who i'd go with.

epm

LawnSite Member
Also, if comfort is an issue check out the new Gravely 460. I know a few guys who ran them at the G.I.E. this year and were very happy with the ride.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I just sold my Z720, but not because there was anything wrong with the machine. If I were to choose between the ones you have listed, it would be another 720. They are great machines that are vastly under rated. They have the same exact frames etc as the 900's. They lay down a beautiful cut (especially with G6 blades). They run you $7500 OTD, not $8xxx plus. They are a lot less expensive here than the Lazer S series. We just went to an open house at an Exmark dealer, and were looking at those machines. The gravely's are nice, but there isn't a dealer anywhere near me.

OP
I

IloveMONEY

LawnSite Member
epm, good advice. I actually talked to the owner of the place selling the exmark, and he came out and told me that if I had a problem with his mower while under warranty, I will get a loaner. If out of warranty, he would rent me a mower at half price.

Ridin' green.. It looks as though you're right and the guy at deere didn't know what he was talking about,or just trying to be a salesman and get what he could from me. I called another deere dealer and I was quoted at $8750 for a z920A

hammmerhead

LawnSite Senior Member
All good mowers listed and no one can say one is better than the other.

When you go to buy and someone says "I will give you a loaner" ask him what he loans out or see if one is there right then. You will hear the loaner gig all the time, but so many people get hung without one, right then WHEN THEY NEED IT.

epm

LawnSite Member
I agree with hammerhead, make sure there will be one available and that it is a comparable machine. For instance, my dealer has 7 gap units (loaners) in a town where maybe 15 companies run Gravely.

OP
I

IloveMONEY

LawnSite Member
good idea. I'm going to be checking out the john deere 920a at $8800 at the different dealer. If i feel the customer service is up to par that may be the front runner.

OP
I

IloveMONEY

LawnSite Member
ok, how about rebates. as far as I could see, no rebates on any of these. Does anyone know if they'll be coming out with some soon, or when do they usually run rebates on them?