John Deere Z930R Hydraulic Deck Won't Lift?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 69RT3X9, Jul 27, 2019.

1. 69RT3X9

69RT3X9 LawnSite Member

I have a 2014 John Deere Z930R with 88 hours and the hydraulic deck lift. 2 days ago, the deck lift decided to stop working. I need to get it working again so I can adjust my cutting height. Have any of you experienced this with your Ztraks and what ended up being the cause?

I the switch diagnostics check out. The fuses are good. I can hear a relay click when I push the lift button. I dont see any hydraulic leaks around the cylinder or hoses, and the fluid level is correct. What should I be looking at next?

Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated!

2. MidwestLandscaper

MidwestLandscaper LawnSite Member

Most likely the electric motor under the seat failed. Granted that’s not normal at 88 hours. Could be a wire got cut/shorted out. Our motor went out on us when we had that problem. Expensive suckers if you get them from John Deere. Like $800 if I remember right. I ended up buying the parts to switch it to the deck pedal lift. Ended up costing me about $125 in parts to do that. Seemed like a better idea for us since our 930 had about 2,000 hours on it at the time!

3. OP
    OP
    69RT3X9

69RT3X9 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked at my mower closer after reading your post. It appears that my Z930R does not have an electric motor. It appears to me that my deck lift switch attaches to a solenoid that feeds hydraulic oil to a hydraulic piston, which moves in and out to lift the deck. Have any of you guys replaced this solenoid before? My parts research is showing it costs $430, so before I spend that much money on a part that can't be returned after install, I want to be sure I have checked all less expensive causes first. How about hydraulic piston failure? I dont see any leaks, so I am assuming the piston is still good.

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Did u check to see if yer getting 12v to solenoid ? Solenoid coil check out ??
    Valve/ solenoid might be stuck. Try cleaning it.
    Not likely to be piston.
    Hydraulics shop can likely fix it. Call around/ GOOGLE.

hort101 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    69RT3X9

69RT3X9 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips! I am getting 12V to the solenoid coil. I removed the coil and floated a skinny socket inside of it using my fingers. I could feel the electro magnetic field of the coil on the socket, when switch was activated. Since it most likely is not the lifting piston, I will see if I can find a hydraulic shop in my area that can take the valve apart and repair it. If not, I will order TCA21899 for $430 from John Deere. Thanks again!