Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone run john deere equiptment? If so; how does it hold up? I know what they say "nothing runs...." but i would like to hear some "personal experience" before I make my choice. I'm looking at a 36" ZT walk behind and picking up a JS63C for trim work.

Mike Larson
Larson Lawn Services

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I'm running a 757, this will be my 3rd season with it and no major break downs yet. Will I buy another, yeppers. I've got nothing but great service from JD.

Wesly,

What kind of bad expieriences have you had with Deere? What machines have you owned from JD?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
DLCS, I'm with you. I run a JD 757, and it is a tank. Very precise piece of machinery that leaves a razor sharp, perfect cut. I love the 7-iron deck too.

I would have to disagree with Wesley Brown about Deere being slow in the commercial department. In fact, they just introduced a re-vamped line of their commercial handhelds in 2004 and and completely new line of commercial mowers in 2002, when I bought my 757. If he's referring to dealer support, I would have to disagree there as well. There are 4 dealers within a half hour drive from my house and the two I have dealt with have been much better then dealers of other brands in my area as far as helpfulness, getting parts, and service (my brother - in - law in a suburb outside of Kansas City says the same about his local JD dealer). For me to say that is going out on a limb, which I won't do on anything I can't back up. To each his own, but that is my experience and I'm staying with Deere.

Lars 24, you know my opinion to your question.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought a new 757 in Nov.,And a new GS-30 3 weeks ago. I have run JD lawn tractors and JS-63C's for the last 3 yearswith a total of ZERO!!! problems. It would be hard to sell me anything but the green and yellow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used to have a J.D. Walk behind with a 48" cut and sold it because I have lost 3 local dealers in the past 10 years. It did not have suction and I had a better experience with lesco about quality. No I did not have a 7 Iron deck. Deere's Zero turn is a Great Dane painted Green and with a different Deck. Deere has to many people married to Green paint that they can't see much further. There new trimmer line is some Japenese Co painted green. My Buddy used to work for deere and he said he did not make any money off of them unless you done everything there way and then you lost money because you were stuck with stuff you could not give away. :cool:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I run JS63 for 4 years now....the mowers run great!! No problems with the drive mechanics or tranny. The only weak part is the Briggs. (i have a 6.4 and 6.75 HP). I also run a Deere 36" gear walk behind and really like it. If I were to go bigger I'd for sure look at the 7 iron decks on the 7 series ZTR.

Back to the trim mowers... they mulch great! I'm buying another in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My service experinces with my Deere dealer have been less than stellar. he has been the epitamy of poor service and unethical business dealings. I have owned two deere lawn tractors. Remeber nothing runs like a deere, but nothing stinks like a john. j/k If the deere wb is what you want, get it and dont look back. Im sure there are good deere dealers out there, just not mine. Good Luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wesely, I'm sorry to hear about your situation in OH.
Point of correction: (you said, No I did not have a 7 Iron deck. Deere's Zero turn is a Great Dane painted Green and with a different Deck. ) Nothing could be further from the truth. Dane's are a completely different animal, in particular the mid and max frame models. John Deere shows no commonality with Dane other than in the stander 'technology'. Not only are the decks different, but the frame, the wiring, the hydraulics, the belts, the motors and, most importantly, the warranty.
My suggestion is to demo the unit and let the mower do the talking. The dealer plays a key role in your satisfaction after the sale make sure he's willing to support your efforts by giving you priority as a commercial operator.
The GS30 is a solid commercial walk that has been around for years but is formed differently than the 48", plus it is a timed deck.
Good luck in your search lars24.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Originally posted by WESLEY BROWN
I used to have a J.D. Walk behind with a 48" cut and sold it because I have lost 3 local dealers in the past 10 years. It did not have suction and I had a better experience with lesco about quality. No I did not have a 7 Iron deck. Deere's Zero turn is a Great Dane painted Green and with a different Deck. Deere has to many people married to Green paint that they can't see much further. There new trimmer line is some Japenese Co painted green. My Buddy used to work for deere and he said he did not make any money off of them unless you done everything there way and then you lost money because you were stuck with stuff you could not give away. :cool:
I don't think anyone cares how your buddy can't make any money selling Deere equipment thats his problem and not what was asked in the original question. Sounds like your biggest problem was with the dealers in your area not with the John Deere mowers. I think JDrep has set the record straight between Deere and Dane. If you compare them side by side you'll see the many differences.:cool:

·
Registered
587 Posts
deeres are pieces of [email protected] we started out with commercial 48" walk behind, 2 deere wackers, deere blower, 725, then got a 54", a 620. then we started buying exmarks. we realize in hindsight that with deere you pay alot for the name, more than they are worth in our opinion, have alot of down time, and pay out the nose for repairs and parts. of course since that is the only brand we used for several years back then, we didn't know how good it could be with other brands. we now have the 725 that we use as a glorified mule (for pulling carts around the shop) and the 54" and the 620 as back ups for our real mowers.

btw: when you are going down a slope on the 620, like to get back to the truck or whatever, when you reach the bottom of the slope and pull back on the controls to slow down, the back wheels actually come off the ground about 6". we used a loaner for a few days years ago, it did the same thing. how that little bit of design genius hit the production line, i doubt i'll ever know.

now, i would love to have a deere combine, or any of their ag equipment for that matter. but when it comes to lawn care...no.

oh, and the local deere rep claims that the husqvarna and the bp-40 deere blower aren't the same. i have both. i set them side by side. they are mechanically exact replicas of each other. most of the plastic and frame are exactly the same but different colors. the parts are 100% interchangeable. i order all the parts for both of them from the husqvarna dealer who is cheaper. (but also claims thay are not the same).

hey, it's just my opinion and the opinion of my partner and our advisor, and all of our employees. they hate it when we pull an exmark for service because they have to use the deere.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mike Larson - You're best bet is to go look around at some of your local dealers and then demo some different machines and see what you like best (mower and dealer).

As far as Deere equipment being "crap"...I would have to disagree. I'm not here to argue which brand is the ultimate but calling it crap is out of line.

There prices are very competitive too...I have found that a similarly equipped Exmark runs about the same (for example, my 757 60" 25hp was $7500, an exmark lazer 60" 27hp I was quoted $8600).

I am not "married" to deere, I have a good dealer that I like to give my business to that sells a quality machine.

The whole great dane thing is untrue also. Standers are similar, but Z and walks are totally different.

Back to the point, I have 3 deere mowers (and 2 backpack blowers) all of which are very reliable and cut great (see list below).

I know a few people that have switched from exmark to deere. At least one member here on lawnsite has that I know of (Husker1982 ?).

·
Banned
328 Posts
JDRep...

According to my local dealer, Great Dane now offers the same warranty as John Deere. (2 years on the entire unit except for the battery which is 1 year prorated) Check out their website for details.

www.greatdanemowers.com

The new Great Dane ZTR's are built in the same factory as the Deere units and have some interesting features including a 7 gage fabricated deck instead of a stamped deck. (I prefer the fabricated deck myself) I also prefer the center stick controls.

Both units are awesome and deserve a lot of consideration. With both Deere and Great Dane in the commercial market the "other" competition had better watch out.

·
Registered
587 Posts
gls, you're right. i shouldn't have called them crap. sorry guys. what i meant to say was 'i don't like them'.

i'm guessing that prices are totally different where your from. although i already suspected as much, i called my local exmark dealer and my local deere dealer. these are the prices i got this morning.

deere
757 61" 25hpkawa- says they retail at $9449, but he could 'probably' get me $8800. he was practically begging me to buy it.

737 60" 23hpkawa- says he could get if for me for $8849. thats right, more than the 757. don't ask me, i don't know.

exmark
Laser Z 60" 27hp kohler - $7499, he didn't push extremely hard on the sales pitch, didn't have 'special deals', and why? they sell themselves. (i am sure i could talk him down if i wanted one right now).

does anyone else have problems with the bp-40 as far as the throttle cable coming unseated and the choke riding up while it's running? we have tried replacing the cable ourselves, and have taken both blowers into the dealer many times, the problems seem to be recurring for us. both are almost 2 years old, problems started around mid season of the first year we had them. we have wired a giant nut on the choke lever to keep it down, looks kinda scrubby though...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
charlies -- for a grand less (or more) I would probably choose the exmark too. Especially since the dealer doesn't sound all that great? Exmark dealer here I didn't like that much. They were more of a heavy equipment dealer and said something about their exmark sales guy just left. I knew more about their machines than they did from research. That's one reason why I went with my deere dealer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Every piece of equiptment on my trailer is now John Deere. From the ZTR down to the 2-cycle.
Great service and great re-sale value.
Sure you will pay a little more up front for that beautiful green paint, but then again it makes you so many green bills.
Go Deere and you wont regret it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for you're replies! I have been looking at a lot of equipment in the past few weeks and it's hard to sort through all the propaganda. Kind of like politics, eh? I was looking at Encore, but there is only one dealer around here and they are discontinuing them. The Deere Dealer was probably one of the most helpful during my hunt and I think they will continue that after the sale. So; I'm going to go with the Deere.

Thanks Again.
Mike Larson
Larson Lawn Services

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Mike,

I think you've made a good decision with the Deere. I believe I've come to the same conclusion for my mid-mount, based on lots of factors.

This site provides great info on posts such as yours. Problem is, if you want to find people to talk you out of a product you can. You can also find a group that will talk you into that product. So, you have to take everything with a grain of salt, then weigh all the pros and cons and make what you think is the best decision.

Good Luck with Green!

Charlies

Ouch!

I'm looking at 7,800 for that 757 and 7,400 for that 737

7500 for exmark hp 52"

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just a comment on the paint....

I bought a Jthe last S 63 from a Home Depot 3 years ago but it was a Scott's brand with orange paint. I needed another mower and went to another location and bought a green "True" deere JS63 but it cost me $100 more for the exact mower!!! You're telling me it's expensive paint!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.