1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Joy Stick Or Twin Stick Steering

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marley, Jun 4, 2002.

1. marley

marley LawnSite Member

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEED BACK ABOUT THE PROS AND CONS WITH TWIN STICK OR JOYSTICK CONTROLS ON A ZTR. NOT MANY COMPANYS OFFER JOYSTICK CONTROLS. I HEAR THAT THEY ARE LESS FATIGUEING THAN TWIN LEVERS. IS THIS TRUE? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Snapper yard cruiser with a single joy stick. It was ok on flat ground but close to worthless on any kind of slope.

The twin sticks are much better.

3. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I know alot of people who wouldn't go back to the joystick, so i would go with the twin sticks. Thats all i use.

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do with your other hand if you have a joystick control? Hold a drink?

I have never understood the "fatigue" when using a ZTR. I have never been tired from running the levers.

5. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

You steer a Walkers twin sticks with 2 fingers on your left hand.Have to say I've certainally never had fatigued fingers at the end of the day.Sitting down all day helps to :D

bigjim front on walker.jpg

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Big Jim,
    Actually, my fingers have given me trouble after a long day on the Walker. but thats probably due to the fact that I have some arthritis troubles.:D

7. I tried a joystick mower once, "toy" comes to mind first.

I have use similar type in a skid steer. Takes some getting used to from the twin lever steering but doable. Not the same catagory, but do agree that they suck for hills like T-Bar steering.

Fatigue, everything will fatigue you in time.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Nice legs, BigJim! :D
    Bet your female customers love having you around huh?;)

Hehe....:p

:dizzy:

Just kidding!:D ;)

9. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

:blush: Phew had me worried for a minute there BushHogBoy,Yeah some of those old girls get so exited they can hardly hang on to their walking frames.:D

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Big Jim:

What size deck is that on your Walker?

If it is a 60" deck it is no wonder that they call you "Big" Jim! :D