• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Jrco leaf plow mod

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Havent seen this posted but didn't look to hard either. Replaced spring tines with 3/4 horse stall mat set touching the ground. Tested for turf damage on my lawn on fescue that just germinated and is less than 1 inch tall. Didn't pull it up and did alot better at keeping leads from slipping under than the spring tines. My spring tines wouldn't get low enough to touch tho. Only thing left to wonder is durability. Mat was $40 at Atwood's, 4x6. Used a piece 8 inches by 5 ft so if it wears out I have several pieces I can get from the mat as long as I don't have to waste time doing it all the time.

Just sharing my results...
20201121_171628.jpg
20201121_171612.jpg

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
For those who wonder, it works great. Some crap still slips under but not enough that I feel motivated to do anything about it. Think down pressure Springs may help, maybe more of a keeping it down across bumps type issue than the material sweeping the ground.

Worked great until I got overzealous compacting the leaves in my trailer and snapped the bolts holding it to my mower.....glad I was done with it at that point. Was in my way bagging anyways.

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Thats going to murder moss sir.
Didn't on the job I did yesterday. After thought everything is kinda wet, maybe it made it slick enough it didn't rip it up. However like I saw on my first test regarding my 1 inch or less tall newly planted fescue in my yard that it didn't pull up.

Big azz tarp moves more leaves from point a to point b faster than a leaf plow.
Probably, but then you have to blow the leaves on the tarp which adds time. I'd rather use a leaf loader than drag a massive tarp up a ramp and pull it out from under the leaf pile. The mower can drag the tarp to the trailer but your limited to what it can pull. I had piles big enough to lose traction and make the hydros strain with the plow. Plus plow can be used to compact the load, just do it frequently instead of at the end like I did,lol.

I'm a one man show, prefer to let the tools do as much labor as possible. I truly hate tarps. Even with my crappy leaf loader I hauled off more leaves way faster and came home less tired than i ever have when I was tarping.

To each their own but it's worked for me. A good loader tho is a must. I think the plow would be worthless without one. I made piles big enough yesterday to show me how inefficient my current loader is. See if I can snag a deal on a gently used one between now and 2021 leaf season.

Last edited:
OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
I guess I could see the big tarp working if hooked to the mower to drag to the loader. I just hate the process of loading the tarp, hooking it to the mower, then rolling it out from under a massive load of leaves, folding and storing tarps, replacing them as they tear. I just hate tarps,lol, to many memory of painful jobs when I first started doing this I guess. Plus I do think the time spent between the two methods when considering all steps involved would be close to the same and I'll be alot less tired using the plow.

I may not be best best judge on this tho, I'm biased...have I expressed I dislike tarps...:eek:

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Member how I said it needed a compression band....ignore the shop mess. In the process of adding 600 sq ft so everything is outta place at the moment....
20201213_082419.jpg
20201213_090358.jpg