1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Judge my first project.

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by grass disaster, May 31, 2017.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

landscape light.png So there's a falls to the left by the bug hosta sticking out. walking path on the right.
    judge away!!!!!!

2 lights on each tree.

taken with slr camera. I have to figure that out too. just used the night setting and braced off the patio, need to drag out the tri-pod.

hort101 and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  2. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

Looks great. Post card/ Magazine quality. How big of a family lives in that house?

hort101 likes this.
  3. grass disaster

hey thanks. just a bunch of gardfen stuff in there. not fully finished off inside lol.

I'm excited to start trying to sell some lighting installs. Don't know if I'll have any luck, but i if i don't try i will never find out.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  4. steveparrott

steveparrott LawnSite Bronze Member

Beautiful setting, nice use of tree lights.

One suggestion - project some light on the tree trunks - either by aiming one tree light from each tree to graze the trunk, or by adding a stake-mounted spotlight at each tree's base.

Best wishes for success in your business!

oqueoque likes this.
  5. kellanv

kellanv LawnSite Bronze Member

Overall not a bad start. A couple of angles might help us see a bit more of the composition. The use of downlighting here is a good choice.

As mentioned before, it would be nice to have downlighting on the trunk itself to give some reference and not just showing light on one side. Further, it looks like you have some pretty hard edges between the lit portion and the dark areas. That could be a function of fixtures, optics or design. Having some hierarchy and lighting layers can add depth and look more "natural". I frequently put a very low level of light surrounding a feature in order to help the lighting blend.

We are always playing with ideas at night or temporarily installing lighting to test out ideas. Give different ideas a try. Experiment with color temperatures etc. Have fun with it.

oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  6. grass disaster

Thanks for that idea. i think lighting up the trunk a bit would look nice.

hort101 likes this.
  7. grass disaster

yeah, thanks

I see that no there's a pretty hard edge by the shed. i may have to move the light from the tree in the right pointing toward the chair, to the tree on the left pointing toward the chair. that would eliminate the hard edge and light up the chair a bit more. its a bit dark in the middle anyway.

hort101 likes this.
  8. kellanv

kellanv LawnSite Bronze Member

That might work. The plants in the foreground are very bright compared to the grass around them as well. Using a wider beam or frosted lens might help create spill to soften the transition if additional lights are not an option.

hort101 likes this.
  9. grass disaster

I need to add one more down light.

But what do the rest of you guys think about adding an spotlight at the base of each tree?

10. steveparrott

steveparrott LawnSite Bronze Member

Aside from the benefit of revealing the tree trunks in the lighting scene, the up-lights will more fully illuminate the tree branches and leaves.

Currently , you have splotches of light in the branches (from the down-lights) - this creates an impression of "there's lights in the trees" - calls too much attention to the lights themselves - makes the overall scene seem artificially lit.

By using uplights and more fully lighting the branches, the impression is an impressive overall illumination without calling out the source of the light. This allows the viewer to more easily suspend disbelief and better enjoy the lighting scene.

hort101 and grass disaster like this.