Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered how this year's seed crop was doing and found this update from Mountain View Seeds.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kerby! So looks like pricing may be on its way down longer term but if you need it for fall you may still have to pony up the big bucks due to delayed harvest and low inventories.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting from the article. (y) You might be able to save some dough if you hold off seeding but that may be risky. Or you could buy as you go and hope to save that way.

·
Super Moderator
18,918 Posts
Encourage your clients to water their grass regularly.
Terrible year for the seed farms. Many seed crop failures. Many low yields and crop shortages.
Looks like for your customers, water will be a whole lot cheaper than new seed.
Neglecting irrigation may cost a lot more in the long run-- if the lawn must be scratched up and reseeded.

Hopefully, plenty of nitrogen will restore a brown lawn to healthy green in the fall. That is, if rains return in the fall.

However--how late can seed be sown in the fall? (In your town?)

·
Super Moderator
44,967 Posts
Looks like water will be a whole lot cheaper than seed.
Neglecting irrigation may cost a lot more in the long run-- if the lawn must be scratched up and reseeded.

Hopefully, plenty of nitrogen will restore a brown lawn to healthy green in the fall. That is, if rains return in the fall.
Water and sewer rates are really high here. Many homeowners choose to reseed cool season lawns over irrigating them. Down side is the lawns look bad for several months.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terrible year for the seed farms. Many seed crop failures. Many low yields and crop shortages.
Looks like for your customers, water will be a whole lot cheaper than new seed.

However--how late can seed be sown in the fall? (In your town?)
No, this year's crop is good, but will get to market a little later than usual.

·
Super Moderator
18,918 Posts
Opinions vary--and the seed types vary. And the harvest and drying conditions vary.

I have heard that the general rule is that you lose about 1 percent germination per month of storage.
And if conditions are not so good--warm and humid rather than cool and dry--then the loss per month may be more like 2 percent per month. Cold storage is better--how cold--don't know.
Seed experts--what do you think?
I have some generic quality tall fescue seed that I planted today as an overseed with no soil preparation.
I will let you know in about 3 weeks. It is about a year old. Two one sqft plots.
Temperature about 80 and rain occurred after planting.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I'm surprised we haven't seen mandatory watering restrictions in NJ.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
How do you determine if seed was stored "very well"? Most distributor's warehouses are not climate controlled.
I don’t know if that is true or not, but the American Seed Trade Association publishes strict guidelines on the proper handling and storage of lawn seed products. Check to see if your distributors and retailers are members.

https://www.betterseed.org/pdfs/resources/asta-retailers-guide-lawn-seed.pdf

Also If buying retail, pay attention to how your retailers are displaying their products. Around here Walmart stores its grass seed indoors, but Home Depot does not.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I don’t know if that is true or not, but the American Seed Trade Association publishes strict guidelines on the proper handling and storage of lawn seed products. Check to see if your distributors and retailers are members.

https://www.betterseed.org/pdfs/resources/asta-retailers-guide-lawn-seed.pdf

Pay attention to how your retailers are displaying their products. Around here Walmart stores its grass seed indoors, but Home Depot does not.
I was thinking more about wholesale suppliers.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I was thinking more about wholesale suppliers.
I would think you could call or drop in and see how they are storing their seed. Ask them how long they hold seed, Check the seed tag, and only accept fresh seed.

An industry forum like this one is a good place for peers to acquire recommendations for wholesale seed suppliers that store seed properly.

·
Super Moderator
18,918 Posts
With seed in short supply--this might be a good year to try "seed pre-germination".
You can probably get a greater percent of seed to germinate.
And you already have germination beginning so the customer saves because you already supplied the first 7 days of water.
Results are quicker, of course.
Potentially you can charge the customer more for pre-germinated seed. Charge him for you labor and skill.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts