July calls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by weeze, Jul 10, 2018.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

anyone else getting calls every day? in years past i never really got calls this time of year. normal at this time of year things would kind of be settled in and mowing would slow down a bit and it was nice since it's the hot time of year....

...but this year nope....i'm getting 2-3 calls every day like it's spring time or something. what is going on? i have more work than i can do. grass is growing like crazy. yards taking longer to cut than usual because it's so thick and wet and never dries out. just a crazy year. anyone else having the same thing going on this year?

2. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

No calls today but one website estimate request, one current customer hedge trimming estimate request, one walk up power washing estimate request, and one walk up lawn maintenance estimate request. Typical July craziness here.

3. Grassfire205

Grassfire205 LawnSite Member

Not getting any calls but have and an influx of neighbors of yards i mow walk over and want estimates. Several say the guy they hired quit. Several say its to hot for them to mow and one lady said i do a better job than her husband and wants me to mow. I added 5 new customers in the last 8 days and all of them are next to an existing customer. Pretty happy for it being hot and july

4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

My phone has been blowing up too but it's really hot n dry. Drought-ish conditions for the past month or so. Skipping some cuts here and there but not full blown bi weekly either. Signed up 2 and just bid another today. All decent size estates. $145, $135, and potentially 1 @ $160, plus a flower bed reno somewhere around $3k-$5k. This is how it's been all season, crazy.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Storm off the coast change the weather pattern here. Went from wet to dry pretty quick. I put my coat on Monday morning for a short time:dizzy: Back to hot and humid yesterday. I am mainly getting neighbors. Grass growing like crazy here too. Ya each lawn takes longer. I have really over doing it every day. I feel worn out:cry: Going to the Bank makes me feel much better. :nod:payup:laugh:

Harley08 and Greencuts518 like this.
  6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Got a text today asking if I could do a one-time today or tomorrow. Lady was “Tryin’ to save her man and help him out.” How about a little notice? Then again, 99% of the time, I don’t do one-time cuts anyway, so notice doesn’t matter. :laugh:

7. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Platinum Member

Dry here and slow for mowing. Put out 3 ads on Monday and no response yet. The last three months were very busy from ads it's been 6+ weeks without significant rain. I was walking on a lawn yesterday of a house we are contracted to buy and it was crunching underneath my feet. I told them to stop mowing. My neighbor had a beautiful lush green lawn in May, it burned out in June, she hasn't mowed in weeks. I've even noticed properties with irrigation burning out??? Not sure, they must have a crappy layout or trying to save money on the water bill. But good to hear some of you guys are busy.

Wye Oak Tree and sjessen like this.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

dang you guys are lucky. i wish it would dry up a bit here. lawns are so thick and dense and it's so humid. they never dry out all day long. i have to double cut every yard and it still leaves clumps everywhere. 45min yards taking over an hour to do. it's annoying as heck. i hate this time of year when it's like this. normally it's dry so it's not so bad this time of year but the past couple of years it's been sorta wet and grass is so thick and hard to cut. makes for a long day.

9. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

Where in upstate ny?

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I am having the same problems you are. I try and look at it in a more positive way. People are not calling and saying their grass doesn't need cutting so come next week. Or don't come back until I call you. They are not wreaking havoc with the schedule. If anything they want the lawn moved up in time. Making less per hour but that is better than nothing per hour. Not eating as much dust. Money coming in takes pressure off the little income off season. This is when we are supposed to be making the most income. Yea the grass is full of water and difficult if not impossible to mulch. But everyone knows it needs cutting!!
    Turn lemon into lemonade as the old saying goes

hort101 likes this.