Jungle Wheels vs. Wheel Kaddy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Chilehead, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Looking for a sulky for my hydro walk-behind. I have decided on getting one with two wheels (as opposed to just one), and it appears it has come down to Jungle Jim's Jungle Wheels and Kage Innovation's Wheel Kaddy (w/suspension). I am asking for opinions from users of both. Pros and cons are requested. Thank you.

2. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Between those 2 choices I would pic the Kage. You do have other options though like a velke X2. It has a lot of engineering behind it on how the platform can swivel under the arm while backing up that the 2 you listed won't do . The 2 you listed will jack knife while backing up and can scuff the turf.Also the way the platform on the velkeX2 can be stored up under the handle bars with the V notch in the platform snuggled against the arm which keeps the platform from swinging under the handlebars and popping you in the knee's. I liked the X2 on the smaller dual hydros but on the larger 52" and bigger I prefer a swivel wheel sulky like a bullrider or my fav a tru trac. Swivel wheels are easier on your body then the trailer type sulky's but you do lose a little tight corner cutting with a swivel .

If you check out the X2 be aware that they offer a 15" or an 18" arm . I preferred the 18" on my Turf Tracers . Make sure you double check with a tape measure to see which one fits your mower . My .02

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Kage all the way. Jungle Jim are junk.

We have done nothing to our Kages, granted, we don't use them like we used to, but even when we did they were great.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

have the Kage. excellent product

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Wheel caddy is a totally different animal

This is like asking if I want to buy a suit at Walmart or Macy's?

sjessen likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Chilehead

That WheelKaddy has to be the most expensive stand-on sulky on the market. I understand what has gone into it, and that you get what you pay for. Nevertheless, I'm kind of leaning towards it instead of the Jungle Wheels.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said, we don't use them much anymore because we have switched to standers.

But, the last time we attempted to use Jungle Jims, the quality was atrocious. Actually, that's not accurate. There was no quality. We went from replacing bearings and bushings annually and tires every 2 seasons to having bearings go out in a day. Bushings trashed in a week. Tires either blowing or lasting a few days. Most of it was replaced under warranty. I was at the point that we had an extra JJ on each crew because they were junk. I couldn't afford them anymore. Not sure if they got their poop in a group.

Kage came out with the Kaddy and I was more than willing to try something else. We had basically zero issues with bearings or tires. There were a couple minor design flaws that they changed and sent us replacements for at no cost. One caused a breakdown while using it, the other was sent in the off season. Since those changes, we haven't had any problems.

I don't remember exact numbers, but I think the JJ's were around $300 and I paid $425ish for the Kaddys. At least it seems like those were the prices. I couldn't afford not to try something else. Considering I had to have a spare JJ on the truck, spare parts in the shop and labor to fix them, it was a no brainer.

sjessen likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Chilehead

Thanks, Mark. I think I'm going to go this route and order one. Have a great day.

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I used the Jungle Jim's for number of years with very similar results. In my case I went to the Exmark Standon. Other than pivot bolts and tires they have been indestructible.

Walker56, knox gsl and ericg like this.
  10. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

I had Jungle Jims for 2-3 yrs. I was not very impressed for the $. When it failed I biught a Havener sulky for around $200. So much better. Been using it for 5-6 yrs. All I've replaced is tires, as I wore them bald.