1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Junk Removal Business?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Derpec, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Derpec

Derpec LawnSite Member

Hello,

Looking to buy a Dodge Ram 2500, and a 7x12 dump trailer with 4ft sides, and start up a junk removal business here in Florida.

Does anyone have any experience with Junk Removal, and the profit you made, and the downfalls? I have a few connections already if I wanted it but would need to get the trailer but I want to know if it's worth it.

My connections are two house managers but that's all I have.

2. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Locally people haul off scrap for free and people won’t pay anything close to what hauling off trash is worth. Locally that business would be a huge flop. Your experience may be different.

3. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

How far to the dump? What are the dump fees? How much for commercial insurance on the truck (since you're using it for a business)? How much for liability insurance? Do you need a license? What are the requirements? There are lots of costs involved, and variables based on the area you are in. Around here, you couldn't charge enough to make a profit on most jobs. It may work in your area, but most people don't want to pay 50 bucks to get rid of an old chair, and the people with tons of trash usually don't have the money to pay for disposal either. If there was a large property manager that you could get involved with that had regular need for cleanouts it may be possible, but there are already several national, well equipped, somewhat reliable companies like 1800 GOT JUNK, Junkdogg, College Hunks Hauling Junk, etc., that they are probably already dealing with.

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

We make good money
    But we have the equipment and trucks

The key is if it’s easy to do people won’t pay for it
    So you need the machinery or the large trucks to haul off stuff that’s beyond the common mans comprehension

Sanitation companies and redbox types require you to load

We’ve taken pretty heavy into hauling off City condemned hoarders and homesless camps
    Good money in those
    House hold junk you can fit in a trailer?
    They’re not going to pay much because it hadn’t gotten “out of hand”yet

Mdirrigation likes this.
  5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

Labor is going to be your biggest problem . The labor to carry and load the trailer . Now you could buy a trailer that has a dumpster on it , drop the dumpster , they load and you just take to the landfill . But you will need 10 dumpsters to start at $3k each plus trailer .

6. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

It can be done, its not fun. My buddy is doing the same (solo) and hes working for his money

hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Derpec

Derpec LawnSite Member

The dump isn't far where I live but it also depends on my radius on where I want to work. The landfill from where I am now is only 15 minutes away maybe a bit less. I wasn't going to put commercial insurance onto my truck because why does the insurance company need to know that I am working "Commercial" I may get some negativity for that but just saves money.

8. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Great way of thinking

TomH&H and JLSLLC like this.
  9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you get into an accident or destroy someones property your insurance company won’t help you. Not a good idea. Stuff flies off trucks often if not tied, or wind etc

TomH&H and hort101 like this.