1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

just a question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ALAN'S LAWN CARE, May 5, 2005.


    ALAN'S LAWN CARE LawnSite Member
    from IOWA
    Messages: 37

    im not trying to stir the pot or start anything that will come back to haunt me..i just have a quick question with out opening a can of worms.....if i just mow lawns will i need to charge tax??/will i need to have insurance.....do i need to be bonded??im just starting out im just gonna mkow lawns....ive heard that you dont need insurance..ideas?? thanks guys
  2. 1MajorTom

    1MajorTom Former Moderator
    Messages: 6,073

    Will you need to charge sales tax? Well that depends if your state requires you to collect sales tax for services rendered. Here in PA, yes we do.
    Do you need to be bonded? No. Should you have insurance? Yes, incase there is an accident. Should you report your money to uncle sam? YES.
  3. BobR

    BobR LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 714

    Bit of advice - get insurance, it is cheap enough if you are just mowing. I would suggest a 1m policy but you have to decide what risk you want to take. Replacing a window is cheap enough but what if you put someones eye out, without insurance they will have everything you have worked so hard for.
    Taxes and licenses are State & Local issues, here in NY mowing is a 'service' and you are required to collect and pay taxes and a license is just getting your business name registered in the county you live in. I personally know guys here in NY that have none of the above and they say they 'don't need it' I personally won't take the risk.

  4. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    its so cheap to be legal,, ohio lawn care is taxable if you gross over 5000, licence was 25 and my insurance was 385 with only 85 down the rest is monthly,

    do you own your house, if you do, you could loose it if soemone gets hurt. Yesturday i came around the corner of a house and two very small children were playing on my trailor,(i yelled at them) what if they fell and got hurt, a rock hits a windsheild and causes an accident and someone dies???????
  5. wormburner

    wormburner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 35

    I am also in Ohio.May I ask were you got your ins. for $385 the cheapest I found was $504 for 1 mill.
  6. snap12.5

    snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 288

  7. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    my insurance is with nationwide...

    as far as the 4900 i dont know, i think its a projection if you think youll make that much you shoud charge it , but check with ohi taation to be shure, i am charging sales tax...

Share This Page