• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

just a story

Big Bad Bob

LawnSite Bronze Member
we had a bad ice storm a while back and the snow just finally melted enough to begin cleaning up. tons of broken and downed tree branches. it's been a gold mine out there folks.
i get a call from a guy who wants branches hauled away. i stop, look and bid. i get the job and state i will be back later in the week to do the job. a bunch of big branches that should fit right on the trailer with little cutting.
i go back to do the job and lo and behold, the neighbor, "wanted to help out" so he cut the 8' branches into 1 1/2' firewood.:dizzy: now, instead of dragging about a dozen 8' branches to the curb and loading them and tying them down, we have about 400 1 1/2 ' pieces to load and worse, to unload. what was the proper course of action at that point? i'll tell you what i did after a bit.

dodgeguy99

LawnSite Member
charge him more and just let him know when you bid on it you expected to be 12 8' branches not 400

PhillyShells

LawnSite Member
we had a bad ice storm a while back and the snow just finally melted enough to begin cleaning up. tons of broken and downed tree branches. it's been a gold mine out there folks.
i get a call from a guy who wants branches hauled away. i stop, look and bid. i get the job and state i will be back later in the week to do the job. a bunch of big branches that should fit right on the trailer with little cutting.
i go back to do the job and lo and behold, the neighbor, "wanted to help out" so he cut the 8' branches into 1 1/2' firewood.:dizzy: now, instead of dragging about a dozen 8' branches to the curb and loading them and tying them down, we have about 400 1 1/2 ' pieces to load and worse, to unload. what was the proper course of action at that point? i'll tell you what i did after a bit.

By the way - where is "Zone 5 " ? Is that like Area 51 ????

OP
Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob

LawnSite Bronze Member
By the way - where is "Zone 5 " ? Is that like Area 51 ????
shhhhhh! it's a secret.

and by the way, that's what i did. i quadrupled the bill. he wasn't happy but he understood.
oh, he also contracted me to do some other landscaping job and mowing. at normal rates of course. :)

2menandamower

LawnSite Member
Hourly rate (s)

55.00 per hour
If you watch 65.00 per hour
If you help 75.00 per hour
If you ask questions 85.00 per hour
If you worked on it first 100.00 per hour

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :waving:

OP
Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob