Just getting started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by brad_84, Aug 12, 2018.

1. brad_84

brad_84 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone i have been lurking this site for a long time now decided to start posting. Ive done landscaping on and off for the last 4-5 years with a friend with a small 30-40 account side business. Last year he made the decision to cut back so i took over 2 good customer accounts right near my house he had so they were still happy and being serviced. Started as a way for some extra side cash to help pay for my equipment i needed for my own house i just bought ................i have a problem after using his commercial stuff i couldn't just buy a homeowner trimmer,blower etc even for my own house lol buy once cry once i guess. So fast forward to this season gained a neighbor of the 2 last year and then got stopped by rental owner with 15 houses while i was out working asked if i could do a trimming job on two side hills in front of houses his current guy didn't want do anymore ....gave him a quote did the job gained a very happy customer. He talked to me after the small job and im taking over all 15 complete accounts + the 3 i had for next year went from nothing to 18 over night basically its been crazy. I actually love this type of work and being outside.I love the difference in looking at before and after pics from installs of new beds and mulch jobs/edging we have done in the past and how much it improves the look of the house.I learn more everyday from alot of the topics on here and hope to keep learning more and grow next season i got a list of shiny toys im investing in next season hopefully it all works out :).

2. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

I wish the best for you and I want to offer some advice on the "list of shiny toys" comment. Be sure to use restraint on what you purchase. While times are good it is easy to want to upgrade equipment, but you will have the off season every year, possible droughts, possibly lose some jobs, etc. If paying cash for equipment that is one thing, but if you finance it, those payments are going to roll in whether you are working the equipment or not. Going out and buying all the top of the line stuff is probably one of the top reasons that most new businesses fail. Don't forget that you are doing this to make yourself money not to have a collection of fancy equipment. You gotta have money saved for the off times or another income source at least until you are established.

3. brad_84

brad_84 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your kind wishes i forgot to mention this is a side job i won't be leaving my full time m-thurs job any time soon.My goal is to not finance anything at all i saw it out with my buddy before every year big new trucks,trailer, new 72 in ztr then they get two accounts and there gone a month in to the season. That is why im renting a buddys trailor as needed for peanuts till I buy one cash this fall or next year. My mowing area is a rental and city lot area around our big college so there really small. I can service every thing with a push mower in the back of truck if I have to the biggest equipment for my niche area id need would be a 36 in walkbehind.I am going to try to stay in this area and maintain around 20 accounts.My insurance isn't terrible 590 a year my accounts are in 2 blocks the guy owns an entire block my others are block over it's 8 mins from my house.