1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Just gly’d this so i can start over with better seed!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Garrett1234, Aug 8, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

For everything I’ve ever done I purchase the tttf and the kbg separate and apply individually. I don’t attempt to blend myself as always worried the smaller kbg seed won’t blend right at home. So I do one then the other. I had four water start times so can’t imagine the wind would have affected watering. Broadcasting seed was done on a non windy day in a cross hatch configuration and can’t see how didn’t poly evenly. Anyhow, I have a million explanations for why it didn’t go swimmingly however I could be wrong on them all due to the poor stand (farming term). Just going to keep growing seed and water and fert at it till it’s think as thieves

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Here is advice on overseeding from Dr Leah Brillman, head scientist at SRO Seeds.
    http://www.sroseed.com/Files/Files/..._Overseeding/How_To_Overseed_Bermudagrass.pdf

Of course, this is for Bermuda grass winter overseeding. Not your situation. Most of the ideas apply. Notice she suggests applying 8 to 20 pounds of seed per thousand sqft. I would say--go with the higher amount--when you want a lot of grass--plant a lot of seed. More results and sooner.

Check on the seed and date of testing. Old seed does not germinate well. And whatever the date says--assume the seed loses about 3 percent a month in storage. Worse if the storage is poor--warm and humid is worse than cool and dry.

And some experts now recommend that "starter fertilizer" be withheld until after germination--apply about when the new grass is about a half-inch tall.

You need to buy one of those soil moisture meters. Mainly for house plants. About $10 at Home Depot. Then keep the moisture at medium or above. You should be fine.
    Of course, there is the possibility of salt accumulation in an irrigated situation. Local advice is better--nothing like that occurs around here--raining hard right now.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi riggle
    Thanks for the tips
    Seed is shipped from seed superstore and broadcast and although I can’t give specifics on test date it was fairly recent. But on seed storage I’ll make sure to keep track of that for future.
    Stater fert is an interesting one to me. I don’t know enough to have a valued opinion. On that however at seeding or after germ both make logical sense to me. Definately curious to see if bags start to read after germ
    Or at seeding in the future if that’s the trend?
    I ordered another 50# of seed to hit it again, so when that comes it’ll now total about 15# per 1000 once applied on the tttf.
    Thanks again

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Back in oldie days on farm we tested our wheat germination before planting. Put some in a weted towel and seen what percentage germinated. We was going test wheat. It was statistical sample.

Garrett1234 likes this.