Just gly’d this so i can start over with better seed!

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
Did you know that seeding into that old grass is going to be a better growing environment than bare ground ? That old turf will provide shade for the young seedlings and also help to retain moisture. No need to till, your power rake will do just fine.

OP
G

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Well that’s amazing news. I figured the bare soil with slight raking and rolled provided such good soil to seed contact. But that’s great news. I appreciate the words of encouragement.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
Young seedlings need a little bit (at least around here) of shade for the first week or so of life and constant moisture. That old grass acts like straw but without the weed seeds. There's nothing wrong with bare soil i just think that old grass as cover is just a touch better.

OP
G

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
That’s great.
So after reading the replies here, reading this site, and now reviewing the state of turf after the first gly app and scalping:
Watered three total times since first gly app: 1st app was incredibly successful. Very little life left.
Game plan from this point: Stop reading if not interested. Me rambling about the plan is all:

1) hitting it one more time today/tomorrow with gly depending on wind.

2)Saturday going to scalp it one last time (bagged). Any live weeds / crab grass will manually pull, but shouldn’t be much.

3)Sunday: 10 total man hours (two walk behind aerators), hopefully 6 passes. Hired two guys for this, I will NEVER walk behind an aerator again. Bill gates could off to swap bank accounts with me and I’m still not doing it!!

4) apply tenacity

5) apply 6 lbs seed

6) pulling the chainlink drag

7) applying 6 lbs additional seed

8) run the drag again

9) roll it with my tractor tires

10) start watering (will go three times per day during first week unless a massive weather change comes). Then will reduce to two times per day following two weeks to three weeks. (Basically keeping her moist) is all.

OP
G

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
I was going to. However that’s going to add approx 400 more bucks in material and labor. Will it help that much?

OP
G

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Ah man on that compost. 35 bucks a yard round here. I can run it in my dump and spread it roughly with my FEL, just Sucks because I didn’t want to spread it all real good and pay for it all. Oh well!
I spread the seed with my fert spreader. Nothing fancy but it’s effective.
I might go as high as 20%. I have to review notes on my original “test section”. As I want to match that. Maybe 15%. I cant remeber